Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Pitfall II: Lost Caverns review

This thread is in response to a review for Pitfall II: Lost Caverns on the Atari 2600. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: April 29, 2012 (04:23 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Being interested in Pitfall 2, I enjoyed this review. I have the same perspective of the game ('It's tough and the hazards are samey over time') but a much more positive reaction to that perspective. Mind you I played the Apple II port, which is the same world and gameplay etc., but maybe the controls there worked better or something.

One thing you didn't mention that I especially liked is that when you turn into a ghost and your ghost floats back to the checkpoint, that often gives you quite a tantalising view of areas you haven't reached yet.

Something else I only just learned myself (wikipedia) was that the Atari Cart contained custom hardware.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 29, 2012 (10:16 AM)

I liked this review too. It almost made me want to go back and play the game...so I looked at a map...

...and discovered this. Apparently the Atari 8-bit has a 2nd level, which both fascinates me and scares me.

I forgot how repetitive the game could be, and I forgot how easy it was to get killed and be annoyed by going back through the water. I think Pitfall may've done a better job of mixing up backgrounds (e.g. whether there were logs, a wall in the basement, or holes/water/alligators.) But P2 always amazed me and I was glad to work through it.

Also, I agree about getting killed and seeing new parts.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 29, 2012 (10:04 PM)

Thank you both for reading and commenting! I actually forgot you could view unexplored areas in ghost mode. I think it's because I was so annoyed by slowly transporting back to the checkpoint that I didn't notice.

I loved this game as a kid, even though it irritated the hell out of me. I think this review covers the points better than my original one at GameFAQs from years ago.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.