Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week -- July 20 to July 26, 2008

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 08, 2008 (02:48 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Here we go. Apparently, staff reviews are excluded and only one review from any one contributor can be selected as one of the winners. On with the picks...

Second Runner Up
Namco X Capcom (PS2) [Import] by espiga
Espiga's work was irreverant and conversational, and the tone did well to draw in the reader rather than alienate. It's a tricky balance, but espiga pulls it off. I was especially pleased at the length -- it's on the short side, but manages to say what it needs to say with style, and then get the hell out.

First Runner Up
A Sound of Thunder (GBA) by Ben
I was pleasantly surprised by this piece; not because Ben doesn't write good stuff -- just that I've never heard of him before. The line about statistics was priceless. This review is a lesson in how to deliver succinctly and with personality.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Alien Syndrome (WII) by bloomer
Nice to see Wade still contributing his typically high quality work. What can I say? Reading a bloomer piece always leaves you knowing exactly how it feels to play the game, delivered in a smooth as lube fashion that can only be properly described as polished. My attention never wavered.

Really, this week was ridiculous. I was impressed with EVERYONE'S work on this day, notably, both efforts from Felix, as well as work by Wolfqueen, Crazyren and Disco.

EDIT: I am open to do critiques if anyone on the day is interested.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: August 08, 2008 (04:39 PM)

(The consistency of the error perplexes me...)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: August 08, 2008 (08:05 PM)

Congrats to Bloomer. He's ancient, but excellent.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: August 08, 2008 (09:15 PM)

Hey thanks Masters. As I contribute more I'm trying to get back into the habit of coming to the forums more, too.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 09, 2008 (08:09 AM)

(The consistency of the error perplexes me...)

The hell?

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 09, 2008 (09:16 AM)

I think he means that you called it "review of the day" instead of week.

Congrats to the winners, though, and thanks for at least mentioning me.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: August 09, 2008 (09:18 AM)

The hell?

I'm just not sure how review of the day can really cover an entire week.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 09, 2008 (09:29 AM)

Us oldies have all done that at one time or another. Back in "the day", there was a GameFAQS feature we used to run know as Review of the Day. It was exactly what it sounds it was.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: August 09, 2008 (10:56 AM)

Well now, this was a pleasant surprise to come home to. Thanks for the mention, and congrats to Bloomer and Ben. =D

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Posted: August 09, 2008 (12:10 PM)

A simple "I think you mean 'week', not 'day'" would have sufficed, and would surely have been more useful than the smart ass remarks which came instead.

board icon
Posted: August 09, 2008 (01:09 PM)

I'm sorry. I thought it was obvious to what I referred. I mean, you called it "day" like five times. For all I could tell, it was some inside joke that I didn't get.

board icon
Posted: August 09, 2008 (02:47 PM)

No problem. I dunno if I did RotW here before--I can't remember. But back in ye olde GameFAQs days, there was a time when I did RotD everyday. Damn, I guess it's hard to shake. :T

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.