Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Missile Command review

This thread is in response to a review for Missile Command on the Atari 2600. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 14, 2012 (10:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Missile Command was one of the first games I ever achieved stasis in. I liked it a lot better than the arcade with the trak-ball. I remember people able to spin it just right, but that wasn't feasible on the home systems. I think the hard settings were impossible since you couldn't cover all the missiles at once, but I remember really loving the color changes for each level.

I agree that the ugliness works very well--it doesn't have to TRY to be anything like a person or a monster. Just dots and lines and calculating angles and so forth.

I remember how nervy it was watching a missile cloud collapse too fast for a missile to walk into, or the later levels when I learned to spin missiles coming down fast to my advantage and leave clouds for them in advance. This review brought back a lot of that, so thanks!

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 15, 2012 (03:08 AM)

No problem. Thanks for reading! I never got to play a legit arcade version, just a port on the Dreamcast version of Atari Anniversary Edition. It's one of those machines I'm keeping an eye out for. In the meantime, the Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, and Galaga machines that are hugely abundant here can keep me busy.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 15, 2012 (09:40 PM)

I like how your reviews always have just the right pictures to augment what you've written. Good picture choice is often ignored as a part of reviewing, so I want to acknowledge your skills in the area. I've yet to read a review by you where I wished for different pics.

Except maybe that horrible cover.... you know, that one time...

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 15, 2012 (11:35 PM)

Shhh! We aren't to mention that game! Never! Never!

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: April 19, 2012 (07:12 PM)

Interesting angle. Missile Command as a life lesson.

I never got that sense of bleakness from it. I think it was the title that did it: 'missile command' gave me a mental image of a war zone teeming with infantry and well-supplied defensive batteries.

In any case, good review. You took a game that it seemed impossible to say much about, and created a review that's worth reading even for those without any interest in the game.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2012 (10:17 PM)

Thanks, Sam. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.