Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, 1-7 April 2012 (bloomer)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: April 09, 2012 (10:54 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the Week, 1-7 April 2012

A week that was good for the site was pretty agonising for me; there were some similarly funny reviews of old games which also got me thinking about old game stuff, but they had to push each other out of the way somehow. And then I gave first prize to a review of a not-old-(OLD) game anyway… also, it's good to see Alk's starting to get more reviews up.

First Place

Sise-Neg's Legaia 2: Duel Saga review (PS2)

Already popular with onlookers, this is one of those detailed reviews about the developments and regressions that can occur when game sequels are made. Sometimes the stuff missing from a sequel is weird or elusive, but this review does a fine job of arguing its case concerning Legaia to people who know the game and to people who don't.

Second Place

overdrive's Jungle Hunt review (Atari 2600)

This is a good story about how this was one of those games that caused the story's author (overdrive) to perceive something new about the possibilities of gaming. That a game could convey a more specific sense of adventure than the earliest single situation games did. I also learned from it why this game was called Jungle Hunt and why there's Jungle King in MAME, too.

I was pretty impressed with this game on the Apple II, which is where I first encountered it. It had very spacious graphics and good scrolling (the latter often a sore point on the Apple II).

Third place

Pickhut's punky skunk review (PSX)

All of Joe's Dishaster review, ASchultz's Miner review and this one were fighting for a place this week. Obviously all are good reads, but Pickhut's short and amusing description of the rather nauseating sounding Punky Skunk pushed the funny buttons well, so here it is.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 10, 2012 (12:32 AM)

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review. Congrats to Sise-Neg for getting the RotW shout, and the rest for pumping out quality reviews as usual!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 10, 2012 (08:53 AM)

Thanks for the praise!

It was funny. The only reason I did that review was because I felt like writing something last Friday and...boom...picked an Atari game I remembered playing back in the day and wrote about it. I wanted to do something shorter, as with me doing little but RPGs now, my reviews are getting longer and longer. After reading True's ROTW last week, where he briefly touched on my Wild Arms 2 being a bit long, I figured it'd be of help to me to do a couple short reviews for simpler games to work on my brevity a bit.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 10, 2012 (03:51 PM)

Congrats to SiseNeg for a winning review and to the people placing! I'm glad my review could get a mention, but it's always good to enjoy the reviews ahead of mine.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.