Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Silent Hill: Downpour review

This thread is in response to a review for Silent Hill: Downpour on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 03, 2012 (01:51 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hmm... good review. It got me thinking about Silent Hill storylines. Silent Hill 1 and 2 did have the best so far, I'd guess, though Shattered Memories is also worth a go for a fantastic ending. Silent Hill 1 was the only one I found genuinely frightening, though I haven't played a fair number of the games. I hear The Room is pretty frightening, though it often gets labeled a terrible game in the mix.

So was this Silent Hill scary at all or psychologically twisted? I'd guess from your review that the answer is no, but I'd be curious to hear more if you have more to say.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 03, 2012 (02:11 PM)

Thanks, Zipp. It's not scary, no, apart from some moments when an enemy popped out of nowhere when I was playing without the sound on.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 03, 2012 (02:42 PM)

The saddest fact is that I know I'll pick the game up as soon as I see it cheap. I can't help myself. But at least it'll give us something else to bitch about.

Good work -- and look at you putting in your own screens! I'll be obsolete soon.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: April 03, 2012 (02:50 PM)

As much as I'd like to take credit (with my usual tech savvy assistant going missing when I needed him), it was actually Jason who put the screens up. ;)

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 03, 2012 (03:11 PM)

Mixed emotions with this review. Happiness on one hand because it was a good review that I enjoyed reading. Sadness on the other because...damn it! Why can't we get a good NEW Silent Hill game for once. After reading your words about why should we care about our protagonist in this game, I read the Wikipedia synopsis of the plot and came away basically feeling like I'd have been totally ripped off if I'd spent full price for this game to wind up with that sort of finale.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: April 03, 2012 (03:47 PM)

Rob: thanks. I felt that way too. I was like, "okay, so that's what's going on. I see." It had none of the gravitas of the SH2 big reveal.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 03, 2012 (10:05 PM)

Excellent review, Marc. I have yet to play Downpour, but it sounds like it's precisely what I feared it would be. Honestly, it feels like the downward spiral started with SH3 and continued from there. It's like anyone who has touched it since hasn't realized what made the first two games great.

Had Murphy been given some all-consuming task that resonated with the player, we might be more inclined to see him through his seemingly random and aimless movements.

To me, this isn't only an important part of a good Silent Hill game, it's an important part of a great horror story. It's not just the monsters, the death scenes, the visual shocks, the psychological scares, and the metaphors, but whether or not writers/developers/directors can make those things resonate with readers/players/viewers. Resonance is an important element for me in great horror works, and I'm really glad you touched on that.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 03, 2012 (10:27 PM)

Pretty good review. I watched a stream of the game being played the week it came out and the first few hours looked boring, and the main character was pretty much a jerk. Reading your review, it sounds like the game doesn't change much later on, unfortunately.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: April 04, 2012 (07:01 AM)

Thanks. Joe: I had a lot more to say on similar matters, but I didn't want to necessarily wear out my welcome on my soapbox; it's a review, not a blog entry, after all.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: April 05, 2012 (03:13 AM)

I've never played a Silent Hill game, but I always enjoy reading a Masters Silent Hill review. Good stuff.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: April 05, 2012 (07:48 AM)

I agree. A very good review that also made me moderately depressed.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Sise-Neg
Posted: April 05, 2012 (09:54 AM)

I enjoyed Downpour for the first few hours, but toward the end it did get a little boring. I think the biggest problem for me was that combat was a bit too in your face at times with this one, and what held it back even more were the highly unimaginative enemy designs. All in all I'd say that Downpour is not as good as SH 1-3, but better than SH4, Origins, Homecoming and Shattered Memories.

Everything begins and ends with Sise-Neg!

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2012 (04:42 PM)

I've got it SH 1>2>Origins>3>>Homecoming>Downpour>4>Shattered Dreams.

Edit: thanks to Janus and Bloomer.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than ifgrth requested its removal.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 06, 2012 (09:12 AM)

Hah, "Shattered Dreams." Was that a Freudian slip?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 06, 2012 (12:31 PM)

Ha, no. That game is so lame.

board icon
Author: Sclem
Posted: August 30, 2012 (12:31 AM)

Marc, I still come back occasionally to see what's up on this site.

Good to see you're still writing. Keep up the good work.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.