Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Braid review

This thread is in response to a review for Braid on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: March 15, 2012 (04:54 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Always wanted to review this, and it's definitely hard to get across how Braid isn't pretentious without sounding so yourself. I think the review overcame this obstacle handedly, and made it clear on why the game is flatly good no matter how you look at it.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 16, 2012 (12:04 AM)

I was one of those guys who didn't get Braid's story- or rather, I got bits and pieces of it, but had to eventually dig up a story faq to understand the whole concept. As you portray very clearly here, though, Braid had a brilliance beyond the story and the nature of that story wouldn't have worked if it weren't done so secretively and in such a subtle manner.

I did get frustrated at Braid when it came to the star puzzles. I still haven't solved them all and I never will. Why? Because I looked at the faq and some of them are just plain stupid. Like the one where you have to let your game sit still for something like four hours until an incredibly slow moving cloud correctly positions itself on the screen as a lift. No, Braid, I won't be doing that. That's stupid. I like the idea behind such a puzzle, the game is asking you to literally not discount ANY possibility as a solution to the problem, but once you figure out what that solution is, there is nothing fun about waiting four hours before you can enact it.

One minor complaint, Joe, and easily fixed I hope... the screenshots are waaaay fuzzy. Get some other ones?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 16, 2012 (08:46 PM)

HTP:
Thanks. It hoped I didn't come off as pretentious (hyperboles were another fear). I think that was the.toughest part.

Zipp:
And thank you as well. I'll fix the pics when I get home later tonight.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 17, 2012 (03:11 AM)

I decided to just axe the screens instead. Either full size or miniature, they don't look appealing. I could use Frapps to grab some new ones, but with the way my current computer runs, that could take days.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 17, 2012 (12:02 PM)

Ah, too bad! You could jump online and find some non-copyrighted images. I think they add a lot, since a big part of Braid is that indescribable aesthetic.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.