Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Chrono Cross review

This thread is in response to a review for Chrono Cross on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 03, 2012 (01:06 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was like having a really good conversation about the downfalls of Chrono Cross with a good friend. One of those reviews of the game which makes me glad, because I don't have to write one, now. The only part I disagree with is "it's a great junk food game that goes by quickly." Chrono Cross does NOT go by quickly. It's frickin' 60 hours long.

Though I guess if you just spammed the enter button on all the dialog, you could get through in about half the time.

Anyway, great job, Suskie.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 03, 2012 (01:07 PM)

I guess by "junk food goes by quickly", I mean just the actual game without the padding. I did about everything until the second disc, when I stopped trying to get L7 powers for characters I didn't use, as well as additional characters you only can get really late in the game and it took about 50 hours to beat it. Take away the unnecessary optional stuff that I did and it'd probably be about 40-45 hours.

Which, by today's standards, is next to nothing. Took about 70-80 to play FF XIII and still haven't done all the postgame marks. Or a western game like Skyrim, where you can put 100 in and not feel like you've done nearly all you can do.

It's crazy how RPGs have become time-eaters over the years. A far cry from Dragon Warrior and its one continent.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 03, 2012 (01:54 PM)

Yeah, in every way, I feel Chrono Cross is an example of trying to have one's cake and eat it too. Like how they go through great lengths to tell this complex, dreamlike story in a potentially fascinating setting and then fill it with too many characters to ever really connect. Or how they give us this big, beautiful world to explore and then limit the experience system in such a way that every minor battle after the first five or six between story-related bosses yields virtually no reward. Your review communicated all of that, so well done. And thanks for the comments, Masters.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 03, 2012 (04:02 PM)

Perhaps the greatest sin of Chrono Cross is that it isn't Chrono Trigger.

I disagree. I feel the greatest sin of Chrono Cross is that it is Chrono Cross.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: March 03, 2012 (04:49 PM)

This was a great review, Suskie. Probably one of your best, and one that I agree with wholeheartedly.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Posted: March 03, 2012 (07:00 PM)

Don't forget, though, that Chrono Cross wants you to play it three frickin times in order to fully fill out your roster. There are three ways to approach Viper Manor the first time you go there and each bags you a different set of characters. Incidentally, that was one thing I did enjoy about the game, was how the branching paths really are different. The whole thing where you have to decide whether or not to save Kid leads to two entirely different games, which lasts a long while until the sections dovetail again.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: March 03, 2012 (09:57 PM)

I vaguely remember some scene in Chrono Cross where the half naked rock star plays a concert and he flies around on stage with a bunch of faeries. Did that actually happen or am I making this up?

_

board icon
Author: SleazyBastard
Posted: March 03, 2012 (10:21 PM)

Everybody is expecting to play Mass Effect 3, and not Chrono Cross.

Get on with time.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: March 04, 2012 (09:16 AM)

I don't think I will like this game anymore :(

However I feel this has to do with the fact that JRPG's in general have not aged well at all (note: I haven't played one since around 2003 so things might've changed).

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: March 04, 2012 (10:32 AM)

It totally happens, Genj. There's also a scene where a hideously old man turns you into kittens and you play as kittens as a while, a scene that takes place in one of Dali's paintings, and a Catman who dramatically shouts at the screen (ALL CAPS): YOU ARE THE CHRONO TRIGGER1!!

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (06:14 PM)

You know one thing that was really cool about Chrono Cross? That opening CGI movie that plays if you let the game sit too long at the intro scene. I think I've spent more time watching that intro than playing the game.

Okay, probably not, but I certainly enjoyed it more.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (06:16 PM)

Oh hey, you didn't mention the terrible battle music. I suddenly feel like this review is somehow incomplete.

EDIT: oh wait, nevermind. There it is. This is a Chrono Cross review after all.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 17, 2012 (05:46 AM)

That opening movie is awesome. In fact, as long as you only watch it, the entire game is awesome! It's just the whole dealing with characters while going through the same dungeons repeatedly part that gets a person down...

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.