Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > disco's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D review

This thread is in response to a review for Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D on the 3DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 28, 2012 (08:59 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

!@#$!... this ended up on facebook rather than here. I did comment on this, here's what I said:

Great review, Disco. I like how you were able to summarize in the first two paragraphs what could take an entire review to explain. I also like how you didn't get so sucked into nostalgia that you forgot to talk about the DS specific functions of the redesign. One thing I was curious about that I didn't see here... how does the 3D hold up? Did they add in any new scenes to take full advantage of the 3D? how about the old scenes? Do they do well in it? How does it function during the game? On the top down view, do the tree tops jump out of the screen? Do the game's many explosions blow up out of the screen?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: disco
Posted: February 28, 2012 (10:16 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, MGS3 is one of my all-time favorites. This version has only been out a week, and I'm already on my fourth playthrough. Had the camera been better implemented, it would have been perfect.

Aside from the occasional slowdown, the 3D effects hold up really well. It's not so easy to see in buildings, but there's a huge difference in depth when you're in the jungle. Especially when you're viewing it from the top-down down angle; there are layers of trees and bushes as opposed to the flat, jumbled mess of the older versions. The fight with The Boss looked spectacular. I didn't notice anything noteworthy about the explosions (I'm more of a knife/tranq kind of player), but the lighting effects are decent. The cutscenes are also fine, though the 3D effects in those are a bit less pronounced. I think only the very last scene really benefited from the updated graphics, but I'd have to play it again. Having no theater mode sucks.

Is there another word for synonym?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.