Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > bloomer's Rule of Rose review

This thread is in response to a review for Rule of Rose on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 28, 2012 (10:01 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Really good review. You had a different opinion of the game than I did, but I think it was more because of what we were looking for than anything. For me, the clunky action was a deal-breaker -- but you were able to look past that and really get into the storytelling and mood and visuals (which were all good).

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 28, 2012 (10:51 AM)

The clunky action always looked hard to sit through but you make me want to give it a try. I may, too. I actually have some affinity for those old school controls. I like how you describe the story as part of the gameplay; how deciphering it becomes part of the player's personal mission. More games should play with narrative that way and stop trying to be films.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 28, 2012 (06:52 PM)

Thanks guys.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: February 29, 2012 (12:19 AM)

I was cautious about picking this one up because I had heard that it was incredibly demanding. I think this review cleared up for me what kind of demands it makes, and I think I can manage. I did, after all, fully play through and enjoy the first two Fatal Frame games.

Great review, bloomer!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: March 02, 2012 (05:13 AM)

Superb review. I wanted to buy the game when it first came out in Europe and had to track it down from an Italian website after it was banned. Made me feel I had something really special! But the combat ended that feeling. I loved the game, but just had to give up playing after dying too many times surrounded by those damn imps poking at them with my fork. :p

Eventually I found Theresia, another survival horror with a girl trapped in a large building, which has a similar style of story telling (not chronological) but thankfully no combat. Though sadly, no dog.

Don't panic!

board icon
Posted: March 02, 2012 (06:26 AM)

Thanks threetimes. Wow, I never even heard of Theresia. I would've thought it would have shown up on Chris (of Survival Horror Quest fame)'s website. Maybe I should bring it to his attention?

Haunting Ground for the PS2 is in my horror games backlog, so I haven't played it yet, but it's also got a girl+dog team. Though it's a more combat-oriented dog than Rule of Rose's, as is my understanding.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 02, 2012 (09:45 AM)

I'm curious: unless I'm wrong. it's illegal to own a copy of this game in your side of the world (rather than it simply not being picked up for distribution in mine). Bloomer: scourge of the law?

Anyway, I hate you. I've always consoled myself for not being able to play this game with the fact it got low-end reviews that focus on the clunky game mechanics. It's helped alleviate the secret crushing knowledge that I would probably love this game, and now you've confirmed it. I don't know how you'll ever make this up to me.

I tried watching a Youtube walkthrough, but it always has people taking throughout that annoy me in seconds.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 02, 2012 (03:25 PM)

Turn off the sound on youtube and put on The Shining soundtrack.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: March 02, 2012 (06:11 PM)

The censorship history of the game is very tricky to follow. But the game never came before the Australian classification board because the distributors aborted its release here and in NZ. So it hasn't actually been banned in Oz, but it is unrated material in Oz. My copy is a European import with a French instruction book.

... Unlike Manhunt, which was banned here before I had a copy. Then again, Manhunt was sold here legally for awhile, but after they stopped selling it, I had to turn to overseas.

My understanding is that the most collectible version of RoR is one of the English language instructioned PAL promo copies that was released to game journalists in the UK. The distributors cancelled the UK release due to the media frenzy.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: March 02, 2012 (09:56 PM)

Theresia is on the DS and brilliant, although it didn't get much publicity and has since been overshadowed by 999 which isn't half as good.

Haunting Ground is very different. You spend half your time being chased by a big ugly guy who eats you if he catches you. I gave up on this too after suffering that fate far too many times. It's pretty disturbing, although the dog is lovely and the interaction with Hewie is what kept me playing for quite a while. Some pretty fiendish puzzles to solve as well as having to spend time hiding or attempting to run. Another very atmospheric horror game is Kuon with a similar kind of thing to HG where you start to get scared and lose control, although there's more combat in that game, and no dog.

Don't panic!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.