Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Alpha Olympics 2012 Letter Assignments!

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 16, 2012 (06:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, I am happy, Zipp. Thanks! =P

In case anyone's curious, this is how I rank the hardest letters:

1: #
2: Q
3: Z
4: V
5: J
6: O
7: N
8: X
9: U
10: W

After thinking about it some, I decided to move X in my own personal list towards the bottom since there is a lot of variety with the X-Men and X-Com games that COULD work for me if I were to have the letter, but it's still easily one of the first letters to come to mind when I think "Oh God, I hope I don't get that letter," and so deserves a great deal of respect.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 16, 2012 (06:50 PM)

N is a lot easier than you seem to think, with games like No More Heroes, Ninja Gaiden, Nobunaga's Ambition, Naruto, New Super Mario Bros, plenty of sports stuff, Need for Speed... It's actually one of the easiest letters. W is one of the more difficult ones. My options were essentially Wario, Wheel of Fortune and Wild Arms.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (07:29 PM)

Haha. Yeah, that's why this was a subjective list. To me, I'm just not that interested in those N games. I tried Ninja Gaiden and Nobunaga's Ambition, and grew bored with them quickly. And the rest I really don't have the systems for. And sports stuff is right out. So when I thought "N", the only one that immediately came to mind was Nancy Drew.

As for W, W for me is fairly easy and wouldn't even be on the list because of games like Warcraft and Wizardry.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (07:47 PM)

That's why I wish trades weren't allowed. I can get a letter and it's a disaster for me, but someone else would have a piece of cake reviewing a game that starts with that letter. So if we trade, and if other people are trading, and if the penalty for trading isn't severe, then really it's just a competition where the theme has been tossed out the window and a few of us are just getting together and reviewing games. Which is good, of course, but it defeats the purpose of the theme.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (08:29 PM)

Eh. I see what you're saying, but that's why I only allowed a few. Plus I figured they'd be more of an incentive to get people to write if they were really stuck with the letter they got. In any case, no one has taken a trade this time, and I don't think anyone will, so I'm rather please that the measure wasn't needed. Just because it was there doesn't mean it was used.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 16, 2012 (09:30 PM)

I've always meant to write a Wizards and Warriors review. That would have to be my pick for a "W" review, though with my NES long given away, I'd have to dig up a good emulator. Actually, I could get by simply using youtube playthroughs. I played that game over a hundred times. I'm, like, the only person in the world who liked that series.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (10:22 PM)

During a previous year of the Alphabet Olympics (I believe it was the second time I participated, which may have been the second time it was even held; I think there have been 5 or 6 times now), I was handed the letter 'W' and I wrote a review for Wizards & Warriors 3. I was going to use that right up until almost the last minute, but then I switched to a Wild Arms 3 review that I worked really hard to write. I was quite pleased with that review, but the judges weren't (and it came out that I would have probably done a lot better if I'd gone with the first review, for Wizards & Warriors III). I don't believe I placed last, but I came close to the very bottom (I think I was second-to-last). I thought about reviewing a different Wild Arms game this year and maybe even work in a line about bleached skeletons, since I always seem to get saddled with the crap letters (I've had V, too, and won that particular year with my Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution review), but I didn't have time to do it right.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2012 (11:04 PM)

So now that you mentioned it I had to go and read it. Yeah, even I didn't like Wizards and Warriors 3, though as a child I was convinced I should like it, because it seemed like such a deep game with all its appearances of non-linearity, the potential promise of a huge world map, and the whole class change bit you mention.

I did eventually beat the game, which was quite the feat considering how boring it was. The last boss is a complete asshole, too. The ending... did you ever beat the game, Jason? It's ridiculous, even for an NES game.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: March 17, 2012 (12:11 AM)

I got pretty far in it, but I didn't beat it, no. I finally decided it wasn't worth the time it would have been taken. I've finished some fairly tough games in my life, even recently, but sometimes you reach a point where you're not engaged and there's no possibility of fun and seeing the game's ending just isn't enough incentive to keep going.

board icon
Posted: March 17, 2012 (05:44 AM)

Alright. I've subbed my own. Here.

I do know there are at least two of you who have qualifying reviews this month and just didn't post them in the topic. Namely pickhut and Dr. Worm, but there's still another day and 3/4ths left, so there's still time.

I'm really hoping I don't have to extend this, but if there's enough clamoring for one, and I feel that doing so would lead to more submissions, then I'll consider it.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 17, 2012 (05:47 AM)

I only looked at "J" as tough because I've already reviewed Jackal. And when you've reviewed Jackal, there's no need for that letter ever again.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: March 17, 2012 (11:59 AM)

I "like" Overdrive's comment. Just saying.

board icon
Posted: March 17, 2012 (12:00 PM)

Oh about submissions... didn't Dr. Worm specifically say he was writing that review for N? I don't think he hangs around the forums much, but we might want to include it by default since I'm almost positive that's why he wrote it.

EDIT: Nevermind, Dr. Worm doesn't have an N review. I must be thinking of someone else.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 18, 2012 (11:34 AM)

I have surprised myself and have written a review! I'm going to use my Rez HD review. Could someone else link it please? It's hard to do that on an iphone.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 18, 2012 (12:53 PM)

Janus' Rez HD review.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: March 18, 2012 (01:55 PM)

My review is one paragraph about THPS and one page recapping how fucking cool it was when Tony Hawk did the 900.

I think I've forgotten how to review.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 18, 2012 (02:37 PM)

Thanks Pickhut

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 18, 2012 (03:46 PM)

No problem.

I'll just post mine now, too, since I seem to be having connection problems today: Urban Chaos: Riot Response.

I thought I could squeeze out one more U review, but I lost track of time.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: March 18, 2012 (04:30 PM)

Oops, I accidentally marked Leroux's comment. I think I was trying to "like" it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 18, 2012 (06:03 PM)

Zero Wing

I had to abandon a Zone of the Enders review when I realsed I had 850 words about what a pretentious twat Kojima is and, like, half a paragraph on giant robots.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 18, 2012 (06:32 PM)

Skyrim review subbed. I can thank this tourney for finally giving me the drive to finish the damned thing.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: March 18, 2012 (06:54 PM)

Sweet. This is looking like it might be a better contest than I thought.

Haha, Leroux. That's somewhat unfortunate. But bless you for trying. I really do appreciate that. If you've given up on it, anyway. I still have faith in you though! There's still a few hours left! =D

That being said, I still think there are a few people who could show up between now and the time the judges finish their tallies, so what I might do is unofficially extend the deadline till Friday for those lagging behind, and then give the judges an ideal deadline* of Sunday, which will give them another two days to catch any of the latecomers.

Of course, there will likely be a point penalty for latecomers, too, since it's really not fair to anyone else or the judges that they've shown up late But at least this way they'll be able to participate if they're already really close to being done and just needed an extra day or two to get things done.

I'll leave it up to the rest of your involved in this, too, and particularly the judges since it'll really depend on their generosity too.

*This "ideal deadline" for the judges likely won't be enforced, but I also don't want to be waiting a month for results, either. I'm hoping all of you can get it done within at least two weeks, but let me know if you can't, and I'll understand. Frankly, I'm just more grateful that you've offered your time to read a bunch of reviews and give detailed comments on them.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's shown up so far. Turnouts like this are what really make these things fun.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: March 18, 2012 (06:56 PM)

I have the beginnings of a Killer7 review, but working 40+ hours a week, Mass Effect 3, and the NBA proved detrimental to my ability to actually put a half-decent effort into finishing the damn thing.

_

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 18, 2012 (07:16 PM)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Now let's see that second-place streak at work.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: March 18, 2012 (09:52 PM)

Not only a good turnout, but also great material! Usually in a tournament there is the inevitable "cashed-in" review from someone or at least a recognizable ranking, where you can see how some reviews are just not going to be in the running for first. But I don't see that here. Everyone took really different approaches to a wide variety of games. It may end up coming down to game choice, in the end.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.