Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, 5-11 February 2012 (bloomer)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 13, 2012 (10:28 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the Week, 5-11 February 2012

Competitively speaking, this was a big week with 10 reviews ranging in quality from very good to excellent. I think it's a testament to the community on this site and HG's development of the site that the quality is now so consistently high and that there's lots of it.

First Place

overdrive's The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim review (Xbox 360)

Overdrive reveals that he did eventually start switching on consciousness autopilot in playing even something as awesome as Skyrim, but it took 100+ hours to reach that point. Thus the human condition was described again... BLAOW!

Second Place

Roto13's SoulCalibur V review (PS3)

People who knowledgeably review fighting games are always saying stuff like "One other big change to the fighting system is the change to Guard Impacts" and "Turtles beware." This review is full of such talk for those who love it, as well as including a good look at the innovative multiplayer stuff. At a broad level, it's got similar tech talk to disco's review of the same game this week, but less on the story and more in other more interesting areas. That's how it soul edged ahead.

Third Place

aschultz's Dragon Wars review (Apple II)

Again, ASchultz astutely sorts out the microscopic workings of one tough old RPG in the context of its contemporaries. A few moments could be clearer, though something else that helps is reading a few of these reviews together (EG his recent Eternal Dagger one, or an Apple II Ultima) to get into the mindset.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: February 13, 2012 (11:06 PM)

I didn't place, but I'll take the 'very good to excellent' comment as an indirect compliment! Thanks, bloomer, for that and the timely ROTW. Congrats to OD!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: February 14, 2012 (08:41 AM)

I saw a lot of good reviews this week, yes, so thanks for the placement and congrats to those above me. I have to admit I had a feeling there was stuff I'd like to tweak (see critique topic) but I wasn't sure what, and the reviews above me don't seem to have that problem, so good job.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 14, 2012 (08:44 AM)

Thanks muchly and congrats to Rhody and Andrew for their placements, as well!

Good year for me so far! After going forever without hardly ever placing in this, I've done two new reviews this year and won with both of them!

THE SLUMP IS OVER!!!*

*Until I don't place at all with my next 34 reviews.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.