Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > disco's SoulCalibur V review

This thread is in response to a review for SoulCalibur V on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: February 06, 2012 (08:29 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Regarding the lack of a tutorial, Training mode has a little mini tutorial squirreled away in there somewhere for each character. It teaches you key moves for each character and explains when the best time to use them is.

This game feels rushed, but they did focus on the most important parts. The actual fighting system and online mode are the best they've been and characters seem to be pretty well balanced so far, though it's early yet.

The lack of story is disappointing, though. All of these characters have perfectly good reasons to be out there fighting but you'd never know it just from playing the game. Kilik is in danger and needs to pass the Kali-Yuga (his staff) on to Xiba, or he'll die. Maxi is traveling with him to find Kilik, and they eventually meet up with Leixia (Xianghua's daughter, who has run off to have her own adventures after listening to her mother's stories her whole life) and Natsu (who is looking for her master, Taki, who disappeared some time ago). When you meet these characters in Story mode, Xiba already has the Kali-Yuga, which means his story, and I guess the stories of at least two of the other three characters in his group, were started and then resolved entirely off screen. I remember reading a statement from Daishi Odashima saying Viola was going to play an important role in the story and she barely had two lines. It was definitely rushed. It feels like they had plans to give every character their own story mode but they only had time to come up with Patroklos and Pyrra's and a little bit of Z.W.E.I's. Hell, most people probably don't even realize that Raphael is Nightmare in this game.

Anyway, the story mode sucks, but I think it's still a pretty great game. They got the important parts right. The rest is just fluff. This is the first SoulCalibur that's actually playable online. IV's online was so bad you needed ESP to pull off a guard impact. As long as I have people to play against, I'm happy.

---

board icon
Author: disco
Posted: February 06, 2012 (08:51 PM)

Huh, I missed that part of the training mode. Thanks for pointing that out! And yeah, huge chunks of the story are missing. There's a lot more that should have been covered.

Is there another word for synonym?

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 07, 2012 (11:53 AM)

If you completely missed it, Disco, that alone says something about the mode.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: February 07, 2012 (12:41 PM)

The Training mode has a ton of options and it just kind of throws you in there without explaining any of it. Start the mode and press up or down on the right control stick a few times until a box with a move and a description pops up. Then you can change the move with left or right on the right stick. (Or was it select + O?)

I'm not sure they even explain this in the instruction manual. I haven't checked.

---

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.