Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Final Fantasy X HD will be a remaster, not a remake

This thread is in response to an article about Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 06, 2012 (10:28 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

They'd have to change the whole colour scheme from shockingly vivid to something a little bit more subtle and textured for it to look good on HD. It's one of the reasons why games like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Shadow of the Colossus transferred over well and some others, like the first God of War, still look kinda shitty.

I'd also guess that they will be using the European version of the release, with the "dark aeons" in the colliseum and... wasn't there some other sdie quest added?

I'd probably play it again, though I fear it would be a little dated now in terms of gameplay. It would be cool if they added in a new "hard mode" which boosted enemy stats up a few levels. FFX is one of the easiest RPGs I've ever played. Killed the final boss (not the story final boss) in one hit with a minimum of leveling.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 06, 2012 (03:07 PM)

So many people were expecting a remake, speculating on what Square might add to the game like new areas, new characters etc. I dunno where people got that idea, though.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: February 06, 2012 (03:12 PM)

Another one of the games I wanted to see on the PS2 Classics section, but I'll take it any way I can get it. My hope is that they do a bundle much like ICO/Shadow and include X-2, but I imagine that is just wishful thinking.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: February 06, 2012 (03:24 PM)

They didn't remake FFVII when the demand was there, so I don't expect any remakes for anything later than VI any time soon.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: February 06, 2012 (08:13 PM)

Regarding the gameplay, I think it should hold up fairly well. I played it again a few years ago and the only thing that really felt dated about it (aside from obvious things) was the random encounter system.

---

board icon
Posted: February 06, 2012 (08:17 PM)

Yeah, random encounters are thankfully being phased out of RPGs. Not that there isn't a great pleasure in going back to them occasionally, but I'm glad they aren't the norm any more.

Are they remaking FFVI? I thought that was just another rumor.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 06, 2012 (08:30 PM)

They have to remake IV ten more times first. There's no 3DS or Vita version yet.

---

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: February 06, 2012 (09:26 PM)

I miss random encounters. The modern practice of drone-jamming players into fighting monsters, and forcing players to leave and re-enter areas to trigger re-spawns, is much more irritating.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 06, 2012 (10:55 PM)

I think people overestimate the value of random battles. "I hate fighting!" they say, so the idea of being able to avoid battles is what appeals to them and they don't stop to think that ultimately, fighting and combat are a huge part of the genre's appeal. They're anxious to get to the next cutscene or whatever. I have no problem whatsoever with random battles. Make the encounter rate appropriate--or let me customize the encounter rate with items and skills--and I consider it the ideal.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: February 06, 2012 (11:05 PM)

I don't so much mind random battles--so long as they're done in moderation. It's the actual battles that can become taxing, especially if you have several party members to make choices for and you have to sit through obnoxious animations like the PSP Lunar. Most of my favorite RPGs were ones that had unique battle systems like Dragoon or the Shadow Hearts series.

I do agree with Jason on the item opinion. Two of my favorite all-time games, Dragon Quest and FF X had those options. Which made sense, considering all the running around required to finish side-quests. That spell or that accessory just made it that much easier to get through.

board icon
Posted: February 07, 2012 (08:22 AM)

I figure if I don't like the fighting in an RPG, I shouldn't play that particular RPG because the battle system is pretty much half the game most of the time.

I think Pokemon has the right idea. Stick the random battles in tall grass. That way I can avoid them mostly or entirely if I don't want to fight at the moment, but if I'm looking for a battle it doesn't take more than a few steps in the grass.

Thank god for Super Repel in caves, though.

---

This message was deleted at the request of Roto13, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Posted: February 07, 2012 (11:50 AM)

Roto has it right. It's not that I hate fighting, but there's something fun about the strategy of choosing "when" to fight! One of the reasons Earthbound intrigued me back as a young teen gamer.

If a battle system is going to revolve around purely random fights, then I want those fights to be more than "select Fire 3; win EXP"

board icon
Posted: February 07, 2012 (02:13 PM)

Are they remaking FFVI? I thought that was just another rumor.

No announcement yet. I mainly meant that I don't expect any beyond VI at this point. They've only remade the first four, and I'm thinking if they remake any next, it'll be V. Chances are if they remake V and it's a success, they'll remake VI. That and I think both games would be easier to remake than VII and beyond.

board icon
Posted: February 07, 2012 (05:42 PM)

Roto has it right. It's not that I hate fighting, but there's something fun about the strategy of choosing "when" to fight! One of the reasons Earthbound intrigued me back as a young teen gamer.

There was a game like that called...Sorcerer's Kingdom, I think it was. The enemies were onscreen, much like the new Final Fantasy, and once you made contact the battle would commence with the typical menu. The one thing I remember most about that game was that you could have an enemy on the other side of screen, scroll through your options and choose Battle. No matter where you were, you could initiate it, too. Like you were calling them out. I always thought that was a neat little feature.

board icon
Posted: February 08, 2012 (02:26 AM)

I honestly don't mind random battles, as long as there is diverse enemy arrangement and the encounter rate isn't FFIV-ridiculous.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.