Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Star Ocean: The Last Hope review

This thread is in response to a review for Star Ocean: The Last Hope on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 03, 2012 (07:48 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review, Rob. I like your fair assessment of your own assessment by giving the game a good score. It makes me feel like you had fun despite your issues and that you would, with a grain of salt, recommend this game. It's tough to do a review like that, but it works well here.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 03, 2012 (07:53 PM)

Hey, quick question, though.... switch discs? Really? In this day and age?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 03, 2012 (09:00 PM)

Remember that Xbox 360 games are DVD format, and thus have only a fraction of Blu-ray's disc space. So if a game has high production values (especially if it's a long, dialog- and cutscene-heavy RPG such as Star Ocean), yeah, the developers will have to do that. It's not terribly common, but a number of my Xbox 360 games have multiple discs. Microsoft is apparently considering Blu-ray for their next console, which is kind of a no-brainer at this point.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 03, 2012 (10:18 PM)

The Last Hope had a cutscene segment so long my wireless controller switched itself off.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: February 03, 2012 (10:55 PM)

HA! That reminds me of Xenosaga. Or at least the first one. Wasn't that the game that let you save mid cutscene? I didn't have the heart to suffer through the second and third.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 04, 2012 (06:45 AM)

Good job on even finishing this game. I have to take half year breaks from playing because the things this game does wrong annoy me so bloody much.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 04, 2012 (08:16 AM)

Jerec
That happened to me, too. I think it was around, what, the ones after the eight-tier fight with clone soldiers?

Zipp
Yeah, with the 360 a lot of JRPGs have multiple discs. Lost Odyssey had four, while Blue Dragon, this and FF XIII all had three. This is the only one where it's a pain though, as to do optional stuff, you go between the game's planets. So, if you want to go back to one of the first ones you visit, you'll be putting an old disc in. And if you're like me and like to (a) install a disc when you're playing it AND (b) un-install it when you're done with it, you'll be really, really pissed when you have to take time to re-install something you took off the hard drive.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: February 04, 2012 (11:57 PM)

Hm, this actually doesn't sound as terrible as I've heard other people say it was. Mission accomplished I guess?

Also, I'll bite - what's the fifth destination that's supposed to be familiar? It's been ages since I touched a SO title.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 05, 2012 (03:35 AM)

I hope it's Expel.

I really, really hope it's not Energy Nede.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 05, 2012 (06:36 AM)

Roak, at least I think that's the name. It's the one where most of the Super Famicom Star Ocean was set. In this game, you basically prevent the resurrection of Asmodeus, so he can be resurrected and beaten in SO1.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.