Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Dragon's Dogma gets dated, includes Resident Evil 6 demo

This thread is in response to an article about Dragon's Dogma on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 31, 2012 (08:58 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I really hope this game doesn't suck.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 31, 2012 (10:21 PM)

It doesn't matter; half the people who buy it are just going to play the RE6 demo.

No, seriously. RE fans are crazed assholes. I know because I'm one of them.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: January 31, 2012 (11:17 PM)

I know. It'll be this generation's Tobal No. 1 or Zone of the Enders. But I can still hope. It looks interesting, but probably not '$60' interesting.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 31, 2012 (11:28 PM)

Dragon's Dogma is slowly creeping toward the top of my list of games I want to play in 2012. It has a lot of potential. If I buy it, I'll be doing so for the actual game, not the RE demo. I like RE okay in moderation, but I know better than to get hyped for a game I probably won't be able to play much (I'm such a coward and I'm tired of fighting my yellow-bellied tendencies).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: True
Posted: February 01, 2012 (12:04 AM)

It doesn't matter; half the people who buy it are just going to play the RE6 demo.

No, seriously. RE fans are crazed assholes. I know because I'm one of them.

A-Fucking-Men, Baby. I now want to buy Dogma and I've never even heard of it. And yes I do realize that the demo will no doubt be released a little later on the PSN but I just get it that much sooner.

I have problems.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: February 01, 2012 (02:05 AM)

I like Resident Evil 4.

That is all.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 01, 2012 (07:39 AM)

You don't like RE5? RE5 is awesome!

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: February 01, 2012 (09:46 AM)

I've played most of them and the only one I really didn't care for was Code: Veronica.

I still would like to get my hands on Zero at some point, though.

board icon
Posted: February 01, 2012 (10:33 AM)

Zero was mechanically the best of the old series and actually really fucking hard. I've gotten myself irreversibly stuck in the game twice early on and was sweating bullets during the last boss fights. Worth a play, definitely! The story is one of RE's most ludicrous, involving leeches and opera singers... oh and Rebecca.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 01, 2012 (10:46 AM)

The story is one of RE's most ludicrous, involving leeches and opera singers... oh and Rebecca.

So...Parasite Eve then?

board icon
Posted: February 01, 2012 (11:20 AM)

I actually own RE5. I just haven't played it yet.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 01, 2012 (11:27 AM)

If you love RE4, you might be disappointed with 5 at first. But then you'll be like, fuck it, this is awesome anyway.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 01, 2012 (12:29 PM)

Yeah. When I played it, that's kinda of how I felt. Overall, I thought 4 was better and 5 had a few more annoying things, but it generally kept to the same formula and that formula was so good initially that when I stopped looking for things to nitpick over, I had a very good time.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: February 01, 2012 (01:01 PM)

If I really sat down and thought about it, 4 and 5 are on completely different ends of the spectrum. 4 was psychological. Much like Silent Hill, it took you out of your element and while the enemies weren't abundant, at any moment your life could end. Tack on the constant need to watch after Ashley, the game left you feeling utterly vulnerable.

5 was completely different. You had an intelligent, trained partner who watched your back and I think it was the first RE where--after the first playthrough--you didn't ever have to worry about ammo again. But even then, the sheer amount of enemies it provided, was terrifying. That scene on the bridge was intense. I'm firing shot after shot from the rocket launcher and those bastards just kept coming. Not a definitive step in terms of Survival Horror, but it had elements and is still one of the best shooters I've played to date.

Anyway, the point is both are worthwhile for different reasons but I really couldn't fairly determine which one I like better.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: February 01, 2012 (01:46 PM)

"Resident Evil Zero" was terrible. There should be a rule for these kinds of games: no A.I.-controlled partners, and no swapping characters constantly.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: February 01, 2012 (05:33 PM)

I kept tripping over ammo in both Resident Evil 4 and 5. Both are essentially action games -- it's just that RE4 actually feels kind of creepy when you're mowing villagers down, whereas RE5 is just straight-up gunner's heaven.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 02, 2012 (03:07 PM)

I also thought the lake boss was creepy in 4, but that was a more personal matter. I have a fear of deep, dark water.

board icon
Posted: February 02, 2012 (05:26 PM)

I also thought the lake boss was creepy in 4, but that was a more personal matter. I have a fear of deep, dark water.

I do, too. It was only intensified by the fact that he could knock you out of that flimsy boat and leave you helpless in the water. Another example of how that game just...robbed you of all sense of security.

board icon
Posted: February 03, 2012 (04:19 PM)

Hey, and about RE 4 and 5... who decided that well lit mines are an excellent environment for survival horror? Spoiler: they aren't.

RE4 did have some scary scenes, I'll admit. The water scene, yes... actually the whole scene after that, too, when it's pouring rain and for once your visibility is actually hurt!

Other scary scenes: the maze scene was the only moment in the game I actually jumped... the first time those invisible creatures appear... and then when Salazar's "left hand" goes after you.

Oh. And the Regenerators. FUCK THOSE THINGS. Ah god they terrified me. Mostly that sound they make! Way creepier than a peasant growling in Spanish.

RE5 had only one scary scene that I remember and that was when the lickers first show up. I was so glad they brought the lickers back. I think there was a scene in the trainyard, too, where a dog ambushed me and made me shout out loud.

EDIT: Actually, can I give another shout out to the Regenarators? In a game that was distinctly unscary, those guys made me piss myself. One of the series most frightening monsters. Maybe THE MOST frightening. I never got comfortable fighting them.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.