Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > nickyv917's Pokemon Snap review

This thread is in response to a review for Pokemon Snap on the Nintendo 64. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 29, 2012 (12:28 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It's surprising how many people seem to have played and loved this game. There are quite a few reviews for it on the site now, and overall I'd say the impression is a positive one. I remember when the game first came out, I thought to myself that it looked quite stupid. That rash judgment seems to have caused me to miss out on an experience that I might have loved. I'm not sure that trying it out now would go well for me. It seems like the sort of game that wouldn't age well.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: nickyv917
Posted: January 29, 2012 (04:14 AM)

Yea, a lot of this game's love has to do with nostalgia. That's why people have been asking for Pokemon Snap 2 for the 3DS.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: yamishuryou
Posted: January 29, 2012 (08:46 AM)

And because Pokemon Snap is a badass game.

At 9:55:00 PM MST on April 5th, 2005, Venter finally defeated Phantom!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 29, 2012 (10:07 AM)

It's actually still quite fun, Jason, on its own merits. The concept was very solid and the levels are quite dynamic. The only place that it's significantly aged are the graphics, but even that's not too bad because it's a pokemon game and, well, you just don't expect that much. The music is awesome, too.

If you can find a copy, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: January 29, 2012 (10:10 AM)

Or rather, just download it on the Wii console. Just read that, sorry!

Not a bad review, Nicky! My only point of contention with the review is that I wish you'd hinted more at the Gyrados segment and not fully given it away. Not only does that spoil it for people who never played the game, but it's more powerful when you tell someone "try doing this in this level and see what happens!" then it is when you spoil the surprise.

But otherwise, I enjoyed taking your little trip to the past.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: January 29, 2012 (09:32 PM)

Thanks for the advice zipp, I just figured that since the game is as old as it is, and in a series as big as Pokemon, most people knew about it. Quick edit in progress.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: January 30, 2012 (07:30 PM)

I don't mean to keep being critical... tell me to stop if at any time you get tired of it. I don't think you've really changed the nature of that revealing line, though, only lessened its power. I wasn't talking about necesarily taking out the steps to reveal Gyrados, just more the reveal itself. Something like... well, here, let's see...

"There's one example fairly late in the game where you ride past a Makey who seems to be innocently bouncing around on the shore. Firstimers in the level may think he's just there to get some pics of. Throw an apple at him, play the flute and get him to dance, try all the usual tricks and you may get some nice pictures, true, but the real purpose of the Mankey is a little more involved.

I won't spoil the fun and reveal all the steps necessary to unlock this secret, but I'll tell you it may involve the magikarp you can draw up from the river's surface with a few pester balls. When all is said and done, the trick spans more than half of the stage with little steps to take here and there. The prize for successful completion of the steps is an impressive display of one of the series' largest Pokémons. Every stage has some little secret like this as well as less involving ones.

As you get more and more special equipment from Dr. Oak, you'll find yourself revisiting stages you thought you were done with to see if something new in your inventory will reveal some cool new Pokémon or get an old Pokémon to use a new power. And rarely will the game disappoint."

board icon
Posted: January 30, 2012 (07:45 PM)

It's OK (it's the only way I'll get better). I'll see if I can change it around a little bit more.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.