Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > SkylerBunderson's Final Fantasy X-2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy X-2 on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 28, 2012 (05:53 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review. Been a while since I've thought of this game. I keep wanting to go back to it and try for 100% completion, especially because the combat is (as you say) really fun, but then I remember that FFX-2 is essentially an officially endorsed fan fiction. Wakka bangs Lulu! Neither of them have changed clothes in eight years! Here's a new obligatory emo chick, with a really creative name (sarcasm)!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: SkylerBunderson
Posted: January 28, 2012 (06:23 PM)

To be fair, I think Paine is more interesting and more developed than Rikku. She reads less "emo" to me and more just far more serious than anything else in the game. In a game as ridiculous as X-2 is, I think a character like Paine is a necessity.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 28, 2012 (06:42 PM)

I like FFX-2 but it really is a lazy game. Any new areas in the game are pretty dull, visually, especially caves. And Lulu was pregnant for the duration of the game, and gave birth at the end, but she never showed any signs of it. Was a new character model for an NPC really that hard to make?

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: January 28, 2012 (08:20 PM)

Final Fantasy X-2 is one of the very few games I actually find embarrassing to play, which is too bad because I really liked the battle and job systems.

---

board icon
Posted: January 29, 2012 (10:19 AM)

Roto, you capture my sentiment exactly. I literally turned beet red the first time one of my cousins walked in on me playing the game. It was like he'd caught me masturbating (that may have been less awkward, actually).

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: January 29, 2012 (11:26 AM)

One of the things I really hated about X-2 was it mars one of the better Final Fantasy stories. FFX's ending was great because Tidus actually died instead of being saved by some nonsensical deus ex machina at the last minute. I wasn't predicting that; especially since that happened in VIII & IX. X-2 kinda ruins that by having Yuna go on a wacky adventure and some ghosts revive Tidus because Yuna was totally bummed about him being dead and all. But only because she defeated the evil organ player. I actually thought the game's 'bad' ending was better written (where Yuna is comforted that Tidus' "soul" or "spirit" has been watching over her or something). I guess that's what happens when you make sequels to games that really shouldn't have one.

_

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: January 29, 2012 (06:53 PM)

Final Fantasy X-2 actually did nothing wrong. A lot of the confusion stems from one little phrase muttered in the ending of FFX-1. As some of you might be aware already, the localization team that translated FFX did so without modifying the mouth and facial movements of the characters, who were synced with the Japanese language voices. That being said, the localized script was modified so that it would fit the Japanese facial movements. This means that a lot of the script, while technically "correct," is missing a lot of the nuance and meaning that comes accompanied with Japanese speech.

In the Japanese ending, Yuna says to Tidus, "Thank you," as opposed to the "I love you" in the English version.

Final Fantasy X-2 is not about Yuna trying to resurrect Tidus, it's about her trying to find him again so that she can tell him the words she never did in FFX... But all of that was lost because of the localization team trying to make the English script match the Japanese face movements.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: January 29, 2012 (08:24 PM)

That's the kind of awesome revelation that could make fans' worlds turn upside-down.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: January 30, 2012 (07:44 PM)

Still doesn't change the fact of the evil organ player. Or all the pop concerts. Or Rikku saying "poopy" every chapter.

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: November 04, 2013 (06:23 AM)

Great review, even if it spent an overly large amount of time discussing the characters. If it wasn't Final Fantasy, I'd have gotten bored of it quickly. I, too, recall being embarrassed by the game's over the top glitz and pop crap, and as a result, never finished the game.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.