Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Insomniac not making any more Resistance games

This thread is in response to an article about Resistance 3 on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 26, 2012 (06:02 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Wait--they didn't develop the Vita Resistance game?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JonDavila
Posted: January 26, 2012 (06:51 PM)

I believe that's being done by Nihilistic.

twitter.com/butt3r

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 27, 2012 (12:02 AM)

I only ever played the first one. Were the rest of them good? I liked the first one pretty well....

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: True
Posted: January 27, 2012 (01:12 AM)

2 was awesome, 3 was shit. I honestly can't say I'm surprised they quit making them after that mess.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: January 27, 2012 (01:37 AM)

I only ever played the first one. Were the rest of them good? I liked the first one pretty well....

I was surprised how much I liked the first Resistance, then dumbfounded by how bad the second one was. Haven't played 3 and probably never will now.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 27, 2012 (01:50 AM)

I hear very mixed reports. True thought 3 was rubbish compared to 2, but until he said that, all I'd heard was that 3 stomps all over 2. Then I checked Metacritic and it seems like their various fans wound up liking the two different games about equally. It sounds like it's probably a matter of personal preference as to which you prefer. No surprise there, really.

Also, Nihilistic is apparently working on more Resistance stuff, according to VG24/7, which was quoting Ted Price of Insomniac Games. Basically, Price noted that Insomniac had told the story it wanted to tell with the series. Now it's up to someone else to tell any additional stories.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: January 27, 2012 (02:27 AM)

It sounds like it's probably a matter of personal preference as to which you prefer.

I prefer shooters that don't suck.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 27, 2012 (07:54 AM)

I played them in reverse order. I thought that Resistance 3 was actually pretty cool. The graphics are a huge step up from R2, and the main character looks like Jon Hamm, so it's awesome based on that fact alone. Anyway, I liked it enough to buy the second game, which was definitely good, but not as memorable. Now I'm playing the first game, which I'm having difficulty plodding through, due to boredom.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: January 27, 2012 (11:08 AM)

If it's true that they took the two-weapon inventory out for 3, then that alone is a huge step forward. One of the things that made 2 so predictable was that you could pretty much always tell exactly what was going to happen next based on the weapon drops. Shotgun? Gee, I guess I'm about to blast through waves of zombie-like Flood wannabes. Rocket launcher? Huh, guess a boss is right around the corner.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 28, 2012 (03:47 PM)

I liked the cooperative mode in the first game and I really liked the diversity of the weapons. I hated the damn driving sequences, which were tacked on and poorly executed, and I disliked the repetitiveness of both the level design and enemy AI patterns for any of the indoor sequences, which felt too much like early Doom rip-offs, like Catacombs.

The game was at its best when you were out in the field with a platoon of soldiers and aliens running around getting up in each other's grills and you were trying to navigate through it without being killed. On co-op especially those scenes gave me quite high levels of enjoyment.

But yeah, overall the experience always felt... cliché is probably the most accurate word.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: nickyv917
Posted: January 29, 2012 (04:34 AM)

If history is any indication, someone else is gonna keep making Resistance games, and they will suck. The same thing happened a dozen years ago with Spyro.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.