Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Astyanax review

This thread is in response to a review for Astyanax on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 22, 2012 (04:55 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review, Joe! I bought this game cheap back in the day, as part of a Sears sale, and I was pleasantly surprised. I kept it for a long time before eventually selling it, then later I bought it again.

As you noted, there are unlimited continues. I played through the game a few times for that reason alone. You were right to single out the swamp, which was a big mess. I lost more lives there than in probably any other stage, and I hated having to upgrade my weapon again just to stand a shot at the boss (a griffon in that level, as I recall).

Later, I found out that there's a stage select code. So people don't have to do it all in one sitting if they don't want. Also, there's an arcade game that looks to be a lot prettier. I keep thinking that I'd like to try that one, perhaps on MAME someday. But then I don't.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2012 (03:37 PM)

Thanks, Jason! I'm glad you read and enjoyed it. And a special thanks to Peter Skerritt for retweeting the review and fetching me some extra readers!

I owned Astyanax at one time, though I don't remember if I bought it from a friend or someone gave it to me. I know it ended up in my collection at a low price and I was pleased to have it. I used to rent this game like crazy after I got an NES. The dragon on the cover was all I would need.

Never knew about the stage select code, but that does make things convenient. I have seen the screenshots here for the arcade version, and I would love to play that. Masters gave it a 10, so it's gotta be something awesome. :)

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2012 (07:31 PM)

Wait, what?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2012 (07:48 PM)

8, oops. I was thinking Legendary Axe.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2012 (08:10 PM)

Yes, The Legendary Axe is my favourite sidescrolling hack and slasher by a wide margin. Now I gotta go read your review. Bad manners, my commenting in here without having done so. ^_^

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.