Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Tobal No. 1 review

This thread is in response to a review for Tobal No. 1 on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 21, 2012 (02:41 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I remember this game from the GameFAQs faq boards. A few people kept claiming they wanted to get around to writing a guide for it, but they never really got around to it.

I think I see why after this review! One more life mystery out of the way.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 21, 2012 (04:03 PM)

Japan got a sequel that I remember reading was much better in basically every aspect, a truly worthwhile fighter. We didn't get that sequel, though, so it could be another case where gaming press was angry about a failed localization and decided to write a review that didn't reflect the actual product. That seems to happen a fair amount.

In any event, I bought the first Tobal (for the Final Fantasy demo) and I kept it until I had Final Fantasy VII itself. Certainly, I played through the demo a few times and that was a huge draw, but I did get some enjoyment from the main attraction, as well. I remember using ring-outs a lot, though. Not only is it a cheap and simple strategy, but it's easy to figure out early on just how well it works. Yes, a clunky game... but there was a lot of potential here and that's why I can't entirely discount the notion that once upon a time, the sequel would have rocked (I would imagine that time has also long since passed).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: January 21, 2012 (04:17 PM)

I've only had the opportunity to play the second game back when my brother was borrowing someone's PlayStation in Japan. I don't remember much... mainly because the text and manual were in Japanese, but from what I've read from this review, they seem almost the same, cept a few additions in the second.

The biggest "wow" factor for Tobal 2 was its huge graphical leap in terms of character model graphics from the first, which looked pretty impressive for a PlayStation 1 fighting game of its time. I dunno if this was the same for the first game (I may have skipped this if it was mentioned in the review), but you also had the ability to play as hundreds of fighters, though most, if I remember, were color swaps. I do remember kicking ass as a chocobo, too, I think.

It also had a dungeon mode, too, and from your descriptions of the first game's mode, they sound the same as well.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 21, 2012 (05:52 PM)

I enjoyed Tobal no.1 enough to import Tobal no.2 when it came out. I then never played that ever and still have it kicking around somewhere. True story.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 21, 2012 (10:06 PM)

Schultz:
I wrote a character FAQ for Udan. It's still on GameFAQs and was here for a while.

I'm also not surprised there wasn't a dungeon FAQ for this game. There's really not a whole lot you can say. Most of the dungeons are straightforward, there really are no secrets, and there are no strategies to combat in Quest Mode that can't be learned from playing Tournament Mode.

The only bit of advice that might be worth sharing on Quest Mode: learn to throw potions at enemies. I was able to waste the third boss easily by experimenting with potions until I found the one that drops HP to 1. I simply tossed that at him and punched him in the face. Lights out!

Jason:
I had heard Tobal 2 was way better. I remember a lot of folks talking about it, and some even spreading the cruel rumor that it would be localized. I do wish I could get my hands on a copy, but I don't want to track down a Japanese PSOne or mod one or anything just to play it.

pickhut:
I had heard there were a lot of fighters, but didn't hear it was that expansive. I think I remember Chocobo being one of the fighters, too.

Gary:
You should totally search for that copy and let us know how it stands up today. Not necessarily in a review. Maybe in a cranky blog post or something if you aren't game for reviewing it.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.