Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, 8-14 January 2012 (bloomer)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: January 16, 2012 (06:07 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the Week, 8-14 January 2012

First Place

aschultz's Othello review (NES)

It's easy to over or under explain the rules of a board game in a review. The former approach can come off like a FAQ (I've been guilty of this), the latter can just result in reader confusion. This Othello review explains exactly how the game works and considers tactical content from both logical and emotional perspectives. It does all of this precisely and swiftly, and is engaging as a result.

Second Place

holdthephone's Dragon Age 2 review (PC)

A detailed review which gives the impression that the author does nothing but play Dragon Age games. I mean that in a complimentary way, though it probably sounded like a big insult. The point is, there's a familiar tone being used here, not an explaining Dragon Age to the layman one, so I see the target audience as -- you played some previous Dragon Age, and now you're thinking about playing this one, and you want the nitty gritty.

Third Place

JoeTheDestroyer's And Yet It Moves review (Wii)

A cautionary tale in which Joe suggests that whole games cannot be based on the principle of rotating the screen alone. Also, there's something weird about seeing the title-cased phrase And Yet It Moves over and over again, but this is just an amusing observation, not a comment on this review's position.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 16, 2012 (10:20 AM)

That's a pretty sucessful return, Andrew. Keep it up!

Kudos to the rest and a tip of the hat to Bloomer for a timely topic.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 17, 2012 (02:03 AM)

Hee hee. Thanks for the placement, bloomer. Congrats, Schultz, for the triumphant return and well-deserved victory! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more reviews to chew through...

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 19, 2012 (12:32 PM)

Wow. Thanks for the win against the usual well done reviews from others and for the nice comments.

Now to try to defend my title. I actually have something planned that I never got around to doing. Hope I can clean it up in a couple days.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.