Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Riot Games co-founder and CEO speaks out against SOPA

This thread is in response to an article about League of Legends on the PC. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 13, 2012 (02:16 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I never know quite what to do about these articles--part of ne says, no way they'd take such a bold stance. Another part remembers the chain letters of cuts to PBS funding that just weren't true.

Obviously something like this is MUCH more easily verifiable, but it still has that horizon effect. I still find it hard to pull the trigger on doing something. And yes, there's "Just send a mail to your congressman..." but really, I would like to do more than that. Because without a free internet, I'd never have had the chance to explore and do so much of what I've been able to.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 13, 2012 (02:21 PM)

The question isn't whether this would allow bad situations online. It's obvious that it would. The real question is whether or not people would choose to act on that, whether or not companies would press for sites to pull offending content and put pressure on ad networks (which make most game sites possible with a subscription-free setup) or hosts (which make it possible for a site to remain online) or whatever. I think recent history shows us again that we can count on that happening. SOPA is just a hideous, ugly mess of a bill and the best steps we can take involve educating one another on its real impact so that more of us take the time to write to our representatives in Congress.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: January 13, 2012 (05:03 PM)

Riot Games' stance doesn't surprise me at all because this would hurt them probably more than any other game company. League of Legends is huge as an e-sport. It is the biggest competitive game in North America along with Starcraft 2 and probably more popular than SC2 in Europe.

SOPA is a huge threat to streamers. Most professional gamers make the majority of their revenue by streaming and this threatens to shut down the streaming sites (own3d.tv and twitch.tv in particular). Also it hurts their online community, tournaments, etc.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.