Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > dagoss's Goldeneye 007 review

This thread is in response to a review for Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 02, 2008 (06:36 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Interesting take on this game. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were two of my favorite games from the N64 era, though when I go back to them now, it's not the framerate or the level design that bugs me... it's the controls. You can tell that Rare really struggled to pull of adequate FPS controls on the crappy N64 pad. In these days of dual-analog control, it's tough to go back.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: August 02, 2008 (07:35 PM)

for some reason I've never had any trouble with N64 FPS controls. movement on the C buttons, aiming on the analog stick. boom.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: disco1960
Posted: August 02, 2008 (08:34 PM)

I used to be quite good at Goldeneye, but sucked noodles at Perfect Dark for some reason.

I never even beat PD on Secret Agent.

Aliens!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: August 02, 2008 (08:38 PM)

I was the other way around, I think I unlocked everything in Perfect Dark but could barely even scrape through GE on 00 Agent.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Posted: August 02, 2008 (09:39 PM)

You know, I always loved the dual controller setup from Perfect Dark. That's one controller in each hand, two analog sticks. It was retarded, but it was awesome.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: August 03, 2008 (04:51 AM)

I didn't have problems with GE/PD controls until after I played games like Half-life and Halo, probably because there really wasn't anything to compare GE to. The N64's analog stick is very imprecise, and the internal mechanism only gets worse with age. I've been trying to get used to 1.2/Turok controls, but using the C-buttons to walk feels really awkward.

I tried to avoid complaining about the controller since it's not Rare's fault. I felt like an ass posting this review though since GE really was a good game.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 03, 2008 (10:48 AM)

I agree that it's tough to go back after playing shooters with dual analog. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel so bad about blaming Rare like that for something that technically isn't their fault. They didn't design the controller, true, but that doesn't make the game any easier to control.

To clarify, I'm still a big fan of GE and PD, as I consider them two of the most meticulously designed console FPSs ever made. Are they as fun to play now as they were two generations ago? Of course not, but as I've stated before, I don't hold a game responsible for feeling outdated after a decade. No game is timeless as far as I'm concerned, with the possible exception of Tetris.

My first entry in Felix's N64 challenge is another Rare title that I used to love but can't anymore. It suffers from some of the problems I've mentioned here, and it'll cover another letter in the Alpha Marathon that I haven't hit yet. You should have no trouble guessing which game I'm about to review.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: August 03, 2008 (01:59 PM)

The problem for me is Goldeneye really isn't fun anymore. It was great back then because it was the only FPS that I could play with 3 friends at a time in the same room but with newer offerings it's absolutely horrible. The controls are either too responsive or not at all and aiming is a pain in the ass. Not to mention the N64 controller is terrible for the genre (and in general, but most won't agree with me on that one). Back then having to ban certain characters for being too short didn't really bother me but right now it's silly.

It wasn't even epic 10/10 game back then. Quake 2 worked much better and shorty after Half Life and Unreal made it obsolete.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: August 03, 2008 (07:19 PM)

The N64 sucks for just about anything that isn't a platformer or Zelda. Also:

It's expansive levels are ruined by a framerate that dips to something comparable to Crysis running on NES hardware

Exaggerations of this nature will henceforth be referred to as Timrods.

board icon
Author: timrod
Posted: August 03, 2008 (09:03 PM)

^ Somebody's a hypocrite.

Touching the untouchable.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 11, 2010 (10:22 AM)

Just spotted this. Really great example of how to look back at a game and discuss how it has aged. Well enjoyed.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.