Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW January 01-07 2012

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: January 09, 2012 (03:56 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Well, only five reviews this week, but still a fair challenge to choose from. Hopefully with Jason's new ideas for the site, things will pick up again. And your winners are:

THIRD PLACE: Defense Grid by Jason Venter

This review, while fairly straightforward, is quite effective in conveying what it needs to about the game. I'm told why Defense Grid makes a fun strategy title in small doses (as any tower defense game should be played, really). I know that the game has more than just the campaign mode to try, which in itself can add more of a challenge to the title. Overall, it's a solid review that does a good job convincing me I should check this game out. And I probably will some day.

SECOND PLACE: Infinite Undiscovery by Overdrive

This review starts with a great intro that caught my interest in the review right away and actually served to maintain throughout most of the rest of it. I was a little worried when you decided to do the list thing, because I felt that might take away from the flow of the review, but it actually helped keep your writing flowing smoothly without dragging too much, which in turn kept me fairly engaged. I also didn't get much of a sense that you started to feel uninspired halfway through while writing this, and I can attribute this to the format as well. Where it does start to drag a bit is towards the end, but by then, I'm already convinced that the game was a heavy disappointment, which is a shame because it sounded quite interesting aside from all those flaws.

FIRST PLACE: Scarface by JoeTheDestroyer

This review was quite compelling in its descriptive approach. The writing was engaging and informative. I like the way you alternate between excitedly telling us about killing hoodlums in a fit of rage and then drawing attention to the more frustrating aspects of the game using similarly fierce (if that's the write word...) writing. This keeps the review from sounding all too positive or all too negative, which could easily be done in a review that falls within the average range of scores. In short, you do a good job of describing a potentially good game then taking it down a few notches without making it sound totally awful.

bloomer's next.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 09, 2012 (10:47 PM)

YAAY! Thank you, Leslie! I knew my frustrations at the hands of Tony Montana would pay off eventually.

Congrats to Jason and Rob as well for placing with their great reviews. Unfortunately, Rob's review has bumped Infinite Undiscovery further down my priority list. I've had enough meh games in the last couple months (and White Knight Chronicles and Eternal Eyes are supplying enough meh-ness currently) that I don't need more.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 09, 2012 (11:00 PM)

Ooh, thanks for reading my review, and for the placement. I missed noticing that the topic had been posted, and I can't even blame that on being incredibly busy. I'm sitting here watching paint dry, I swear! Except that no one has painted recently.

Anyway, I too hope for more competition in coming weeks, but January will be a poor way to judge how active the community is or isn't. Talk about a worthless month. Nothing is happening in terms of game releases!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 10, 2012 (10:11 AM)

Muchos gracias for the placement. It's been a while!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 14, 2012 (04:14 AM)

Hate to be a bother, but can someone please upgrade my Scarface review to 'featured'?

EDIT:
Thank you!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.