Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Tails flies his way into Sonic 4: Episode 2

This thread is in response to an article about Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 30, 2011 (03:19 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm pretty sure Sonic Colors already filled that role. It did for me, anyway. Such a great Sonic game. I'll try Sonic Generations soon, since I downloaded it during a Steam sale, but frankly I have a hard time imagining another Sonic game coming along that nails everything the way Colors did. If Sonic 4 manages to do that in a second episode... great! I don't expect it, though.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: December 30, 2011 (06:35 AM)

Yeah, Sonic Colors actually gave me hope for the series because it turned out impressively well for a modern Sonic title, followed by Sonic Generations. If there are still people out there moaning about wanting a good new Sonic title, then I don't know what to say, there's already two out (I'll even extend that by saying Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed weren't bad games, either). I think some people are still just clingling on way too hard on how bad Sonic 06 turned out. That was years ago and only one game.

As for Episode 2, I'm having my doubts about it. Episode 1 displayed that, Dimps and whoever were in charge of making decisions for the game, were good at devolving the franchise. And with the only "big" news of Episode 2 that the team can give us is of Tails and Metal Sonic making appearances, that's meh-ish at best. I'll try th demo when it eventually comes out, though. Hopefully it'll be more than lame remixes of past levels this time.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: December 30, 2011 (11:28 AM)

Actually, they've announced that "Episode 2" is going to use a new physics engine, and they're going to make some minor adjustments in response to fan critiques of the first episode. (e.g. Sonic will no longer unfurl from ball form when rolling up a slope.)

I hope they nail it this time, but until a satisfactory demo is released, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: December 30, 2011 (12:16 PM)

I dunno how I feel about changing the physics engine between episodes. The physics weren't perfect in the first episode, but they worked. I think different episodes in a "season" should have a similar feel.

---

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: December 30, 2011 (12:25 PM)

The physics in "Episode 1" were terrible. The purpose of that game was to recreate the feel of the classic Sonic games. In those games, you could build momentum. In "Sonic 4", you couldn't. That's inexcusable. If you ask me, Sega should just pretend "Episode 1" didn't happen and move on with a clean slate.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Posted: December 30, 2011 (12:50 PM)

They were terrible if you think they're supposed to be like the Genesis games. They're perfectly fine if you accept Sonic 4 as its own unique game. And pretend it doesn't have a number in it.

---

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 31, 2011 (05:25 AM)

Wasn't the entire point of Sonic 4 to recapture the magic of the earlier titles? A big deal was made about how the series was going back to its roots. A little hard to do that when it can't even capture the same feeling of speed.

I'm playing Generations now. I bregrudingly love it.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: December 31, 2011 (08:01 AM)

That's what the announcement hype said, but it was a pretty clear lie. Anyone still looking forward to it feeling like Sonic 1-3 after watching the first gameplay trailer has only himself to blame if they were let down by the final product.

The game is what it is. It's not a proper Sonic 4. It was never going to be a proper Sonic 4. I don't think that has to be such a terrible thing.

---

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.