Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW -- Dec. 18-24, 2011: OD's Final RotW (of 2011)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 27, 2011 (11:02 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Another kinda condensed RotW. But done in a fairly timely manner, as opposed to the more effort-driven kind that would take me until sometime next week to finish. So we all win or lose in some way, don't we?

A lot of good stuff this week. Making these decisions wasn't particularly easy and the people who didn't place all easily could have done so, as their reviews were all worthy. But we go three places deep and not six, so some of you will be unhappy.

AND NOW...FOR THE PLACEWINNINGS!

THIRD PLACE: Hard Reset (PC) by Malygris

I've never heard of this game beyond this review. But you did a great job of comparing the gist of how it works to certain games I'm more familiar with, such as Doom, so I didn't feel like I was struggling to comprehend what you were saying. I think you did a good job with those comparisons, so everything worked out great for me. Good descriptions of the game's world, as well as the handful of things that didn't seem so impressive.

SECOND PLACE: Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360) by tomchick

OMG THIS GAME GOT HIGH RATINGS EVERYWHERE BUT FROM YOU! RAGE!!! You do a great job of explaining exactly how sequel stagnation works. I'm not particularly familiar with the AC series, but this review paints a picture of a game that doesn't break much new ground from previous titles and introduces new things by beating you over the head with them, as opposed to actually integrating them into the game cleverly.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Golden Axe II (GEN) by pickhut

I'd say this is an even better way of explaining that whole sequel stagnation deal than Tom's. At least for me, as I'm a bit more familiar with Golden Axe than Assassin's Creed. You describe the minor "improvements" made to the original such as one more enemy to fight at a time and the boob job for a character. And then mention how hollow they are compared to other sequels of the time. You're not telling us how things should have been done — you're just mentioning what little they did and how disappointing that was compared to what other games were doing, which is just a very effective way of making your point.

Back to Skyrim. All paths lead back to Skyrim. No exceptions.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: December 27, 2011 (01:06 PM)

Hey, thanks OD! I wasn't expecting this at all, not even a mention, especially since I haven't written anything in over a month XD! Certainly a pleasant thing to see after getting over a fever. Nice that the message got by well with you, too.

Congrats to Malygris and tomchick, as well!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 27, 2011 (03:09 PM)

Bah. I'm not unhappy not placing. I am unhappy that no one has told me to go die somewhere for pissing on AC. I've won ROTW numerous times. Congrats, pick!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 27, 2011 (04:06 PM)

Good job on the quick turnaround, overdrive! Also: congratulations to those who placed on such a challenging week. We've really had some terrific contributions as the year winds down, and I hope we'll see them continue into the new year.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 28, 2011 (09:01 AM)

Joe, you're three years too late for that shit to fly here.

Congrats to you Pickhut. And the rest of you as well, I suppose.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 28, 2011 (09:05 AM)

I know. I was mostly being sarcastic. :0

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.