Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week (11/27/11 - 12/03/11)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 10, 2011 (08:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a really tough week with a lot of terrific contributions from a wide variety of writers. I'd love to see every week feature such a strong collection of amazing reviews. Alas, there can only be three winners (and I can't give the win or any position to myself). Those winners--as I see it--are listed below.

---

Second Runner Up: GoldenEye 007: Reloaded by asherdeus

This review wasn't especially complimentary to its subject matter, but it made some solid points (particularly as regards the barren online scene). HD remakes need to offer more than this remake offered, at least given the price point, and this review makes it's point thoroughly but without spending too much time in the effort. It's very good at what it does, moreso than the game in question.

First Runner Up: Anno 2070 by tomchick

I loved that this review captured the magic of playing a good city builder. The bit about playing in the tub with a plastic boat was pure gold, and that was joined by excellent descriptions that give the reader a sense of what it feels like to play the game. The enthusiasm is infectious and it's clear that the writer has experience with the genre and its intricacies. If there was any doubt about that, the bit about being unable to snap to certain buildings late in the game made that clear (a problem I had with Dawn of Discovery). This could easily have been the winner in some other week.

Review of the Week: Assassin's Creed: Revelations by Suskie

Suskie continues to review a series that initially he didn't like, and he continues to dive deep into what makes Assassin's Creed work (or in this case, not work so beautifully as its recent predecessors). There were a lot of terrific parts to this review, quotable and insightful lines that you really ought to read for yourself. The bit that cinched Suskie's win in my mind was near the start of the review, though. When he talked about how the game gives you ways to go around its flaws rather than addressing them in this fourth installment, I immediately was reminded that I was reading a thoughtful analysis of a game that deserves it. Terrific stuff!

---

Thanks again to all who contributed. It truly was a difficult week to place, but that doesn't mean that your contributions are appreciated any less. I'm sorry that it took so long to get to this topic (I usually try to do much better), but a combination of more reading than usual and a lot of personal stuff meant that I couldn't find the time to go back over these reviews a second time until just recently (I'd actually read many of them previously).

Next week, it looks like wolfqueen is up to bat. Good luck to all who contributed, and I'll see you next time around!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: December 11, 2011 (03:32 PM)

Hey, thanks, Jason. Congrats to Tom and Ash.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: December 11, 2011 (04:01 PM)

Am I being punished for my multi-year hiatus?

Kidding of course. The reviews that won were totally awesomer.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 11, 2011 (04:16 PM)

There were a lot of reviews duking it out for third place, in my mind. Dagoss, your RotTK review was definitely one of them. I hope that you'll continue contributing, now that you've started up again. I have enjoyed both of your reviews since your triumphant return.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.