Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Alone in the Dark 3 review

This thread is in response to a review for Alone in the Dark 3 on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2011 (10:02 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It always hurts to tear into the games you love. But the alturnative is to be one of those whiney head-in-the-sanders who want to judge everything on yesteryear's merits, even if they've become hopelessly outdated.

I nevet got any further than the stupid hendge maze at the start of this game. The one with the pondersom zombies that lumber around after you yelling "Hey, guy!" and "Hello, Joe!" Dunno where that came from.

It's obvious you still carry a fondness for the series, and that carried over well in your disapointment with this outing. The little glances back to the previous games and acknowledgment of the slowly budding flaws might even trick unwary readers into believing you as a trustworth voice. High praise, indeed.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2011 (10:03 AM)

Thanks, Gary. Actually the HI GUY, and HEY YOU of the hedge maze come from Alone in the Dark 2, the game before this one! ^_^ This cowboy one, nobody really played. Except me, apparently.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2011 (10:09 AM)

See, it's stuff like that which makes you look creditable.

Review the new(est) Alone in the Dark. I dare you.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: November 25, 2011 (11:24 AM)

Yuck. That game looks terrible. So bad they made a new fixed-up version and re-released it subtitled "Inferno" I think. Which still sucked, I'm told.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 25, 2011 (06:03 PM)

Yeah, yeah, do it... I dare you, too. The Inferno version is indeed better, but it still sucks. Probably not as bad now as you've been led to believe... unless you play the god-awful Wii port. That smell coming from the CD is not the smell of a raging inferno... it is the smell of raging diarhea.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 26, 2011 (03:17 PM)

Having never played an Alone in the Dark game, I get the sense that I would like this one more than the previous ones because this one--based on your descriptions and the screenshots--doesn't sound particularly scary. I'm not big on games that offer an atmosphere of genuine horror. I prefer puzzles with light moodiness and perhaps an air of mystery. This game sounds like it has a cheesy mystery (and narrative) and obtuse puzzles that would be frustrating rather than compelling, plus the visual style looks like Dragon's Lair meets purple and blue. I'd respond to this review by going back to play one of the earlier games in the series, but I'm too much of a wuss. This was a little bit longer than a lot of your recent reviews, but your writing style throughout kept things lively and interesting. Nice job!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 27, 2011 (08:40 AM)

Jason, I'm pretty sure you can handle the scares in these games. Don't you play Silent Hill and Resident Evil??

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 28, 2011 (11:11 AM)

Yeah, Alone in the Dark isn't very scary anymore. The biggest "oh shit" moments unfortunately come, now, from out-dated controls. Still worth a play, but if you've made it through any Silent Hill, you've already seen more fear than Alone in the Dark delivers.

True fear is to be found in Amnesia. Holy shit that game. Dead Space II is pretty good, too, though on more of a high-octane sort of stress-out than true "I don't want to go in the room" fear. Heavy balistics weapons will do that to a Survival Horror title.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: November 28, 2011 (11:21 AM)

Clock Tower for the SNES remains the scariest game I've ever seen someone else play, because there's no way I'd play it myself.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.