Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW -- Nov. 13-19: The post-turkey Thanksgiving coma edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2011 (02:08 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Okay. Having a long week at work that's made worse by the mandated day off. I'm also exhausted. So this will be brief. Five reviews (would be seven, but Masters doesn't count because he says so and I don't count because some people don't think it'd be "fair" for me to give myself wins. Just for you, Masters. I liked your review. I occasionally play Bejeweled 2 when I visit my mom, but don't regularly play puzzle games, so your review was the sort of thing that's down my alley for a game like this.

AND NOW...FOR THE CONTENDING FOLKS AND THEIR PLACINGS AND STUFF

THIRD PLACE: The Silver Lining Episode 4 (PC) by Malygris

I really enjoyed this review. Good synopsis of the things that can go wrong with a well-meaning fan-made tribute title. You really get the idea that the guys who made this had all the good intentions in the world, but just don't have the skill to make a truly enjoyable game. I liked the review. It made its point effectively and efficiently.

SECOND PLACE: Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) by JoeTheDestroyer

I think I mentioned on the message board part of this site that I liked this review a lot. Makes me want to replay it. Maybe even go on a retro binge. Then I remember I'm in quests in Oblivion, FF XIII, Wild Arms 2 and Chrono Cross, as well as having other games on standby AND Skyrim in the mail. So I'm kinda, you know, overwhelmed. But this does make me want to play this game again. You do a great job of capturing the charm and allure into writing. Good job on that.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC) by Lewis

Very effective review that kept me reading. You start out making me think it'll be some unabashed praise sort of thing with the video and the glowing words on how this game exemplifies how awesome things can be in games. But then mention things like the "who cares" third-wheel character, the fighting, the stealth and the blah ending. Resulting in a very effective review praising a game's dizzying highs while also lambasting its lows, such as how it seems to throw in a ton of elements whether they work or not. Excellent stuff.

And that's that. Time to relax for the evening and then work my fingers to the bone tomorrow. yay...

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2011 (02:25 PM)

Nicely done, Rob--and timely too. Thanks for the shout out! =D

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2011 (12:09 PM)

Thanks, Rob, and great job on the ROTW! Congrats everyone who placed/was mentioned, and to Lewis for the V.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.