Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Oct.30-Nov.5, 2011

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2011 (03:02 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Get this: This RotW is so late, it's late for the following week's RotW!

How exceptional is that? I guess I'm showing about as much interest as the participants! (RIMSHOT!)

Anyway, you didn't come here for moldy jokes... you came here by accident.

Okay, I promise, I'm done.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK

Uncharted 3 by Tom Chick

This review has sparked the biggest debate in recent HG history, but that's not why it gets the win. It doesn't even get it because it's written by Tom Chick, whose reviews almost always impress. It gets the nod because it's the best review this week. Tom opens himself up to fanboy barbs by taking on the latest entry in any self-respecting Sony fanboy's dream franchise--and methodically demystifying its assumed appeal. And without sounding like a dismissive dick. It's hard to do, and he pulls it off with the usual aplomb.

SECOND PLACE

Kirby's Return to Dream Land by honestgamer

Venter submitted two reviews this week, but this one was by far the better one. His GoldenEye piece began with nostalgia-tinged fire, and devolved into a generic rundown of positives and negatives. The Kirby work was infused with much more life. I don't know if it has to do with liking the game more, but whatever it is, it works. The 'pink' theme is absolutely killer too. The review placed this high based on the strength of pink alone. I'm kidding. But only a little. (P.S.: Don't be angry with me at your placement.)

THIRD PLACE

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep by zippdementia

This is a great review. It has to be a great review that has me reading without losing interest when the subject of the piece is an RPG game. I considered Zipp's Other M review as well, as it has a killer intro, but the conclusion didn't quite match. This was his most balanced work for the week, in a week where we were spoiled with Zipp content.

Review Round-up

In other news, Overdrive's Front Mission review seemed strangely no-frills for him--but then, these reviews do happen. There's nothing wrong with it, it just seemed to lack evidence of his usual flair. Lewis contributed a fantastically written piece, which may feel heavy for a non-fan of both genre and series. If, however, you're the target audience, it's about as good a review as you could hope to read. I always like pickhut's reviews, but his Deathsmiles piece this week left me a little cold. It didn't seem like what I've come to expect from him. I rather enjoyed Brittany Vincent's compact coverage of Serious Sam. I don't know if she's new, but I see an auspicious future. Finally, holdthephone's review of Crysis 2 was likewise very promising, and his or her continued contributions would bode well for the health of the site. (And Brittney's too...)

'Nuff said.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: November 16, 2011 (06:56 AM)

In still other news, Leslie, can you remove me from the rotation?

Thanks!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 16, 2011 (08:34 AM)

Is this your final ROTW, Masters? In any case, thanks for the feedback! This is my third review, I think (my fourth?) for a Kingdom Hearts game and I was happier with it then the others.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: November 16, 2011 (08:58 AM)

Hey zipp, yes, it looks like it is. I have my thoughts on the topic as a whole, but those thoughts are already known, so there's no point rehashing them here.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 16, 2011 (09:59 AM)

I constantly shoot myself in the foot when it comes to RotW by finding talented folks to review games for the site. When will I learn that I can more easily win if I scare away all the talent? When?! Tom's review was fantastic and really dived into what made Uncharted 3 a disappointment--or at least, I think it did, as I've not played the game myself--and I'm fine with it placing ahead of my off-the-cuff Kirby review and my GoldenEye review. The latter was difficult to write and didn't really want to come together, but it really needed to and I did at least say the things I wanted to say even if I did a poorer job than usual of dressing it up nicely.

Congrats to all who placed and keep the great reviews coming. Thanks for handling the week, Marc!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 16, 2011 (10:32 AM)

Close to a fourth consecutive win, I think, Jason. Not too shabby.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 18, 2011 (04:29 AM)

I should get the absentee prize for not contributing this week. Congrats to Tom, and great job on the ROTW Marc!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 18, 2011 (10:23 AM)

That was one of my Gameroni reviews that I tinkered with a bit. If no-frills, I blame the game. It was kinda in that category of "disappointing, but not bad to the level where I completely go off and rip on it out of pure fucking rage/hate/contempt". More of a "shake my head, sigh deeply and figure out what to say" sort of thing.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.