Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Super Mario 3D Land review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: November 09, 2011 (10:40 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I like the new rating slider.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 09, 2011 (10:53 AM)

What he said.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: November 09, 2011 (11:02 AM)

From now on I'm not even going to think of a number when reviewing a game, just whether it's "Excellent" or "Very good" or "Needs work."

Also there's a review here, which I will read after I actually play the game. I'm on a blackout.

---

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 09, 2011 (01:06 PM)

That slider is pretty sweet. It'll tell people exactly HOW BAD I think games are. Which clears up misconceptions like a certain demo of people thinking a number like, oh I don't know, FOUR means unplayable crap worth no one's time.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 09, 2011 (01:23 PM)

The purpose of the slider is to tell people at a glance how much we did or did not like a game. Numerical scores will never be perfect and of course we'd all prefer that readers get context from the body of our reviews, but this at least makes it easy to tell that a 5 on this site is not "way below average" or whatever.

In the past, people would have to click through to the page that broke down scores in order to get that info, so this saves people from having to click (I don't think most people ever clicked, anyway). It also eliminates the more verbose score descriptions, which people would sometimes attributed to the writer of an individual review even though it was actually just the site's default description. Also, the new slider makes it clear that if we give a game a 3 or a 4 or whatever, that's out of 10, not out of 4 or 5.

Basically, the new system allowed me to make every change I've wanted to make for some time now, in a convenient and easy-to-read format that doesn't require a disastrous change in how we score games on the site. Ambiguity is gone and now readers can't blame us if they fail to understand what a given score means on the site. I'm happy with the new slider and I'm glad that (at least so far) others are too.

By the way, I think this review might hold the record for most posts in a feedback thread that don't actually leave any feedback on the associated review.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 09, 2011 (02:11 PM)

Nice review.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: JonDavila
Posted: November 09, 2011 (04:06 PM)

Let me jump on the bandwagon and say that I'm a fan of the new review slider. Also, can't wait to pick this up.

twitter.com/butt3r

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 10, 2011 (02:40 AM)

I just realized the big downside to this: Now all of the "score captions" we've written have been lost. Some of mine were pretty good, too.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: yamishuryou
Posted: November 10, 2011 (05:51 AM)

I didn't even realise this game was coming out in a few days.

And Nintendo actually sent you an advance copy? I'll admit I've been out of the loop for years but they didn't for you last time I chatted with you.

At 9:55:00 PM MST on April 5th, 2005, Venter finally defeated Phantom!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.