Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] The Winter of RPGs Kicks Off With Chrono Cross

This thread is in response to an article about Chrono Cross on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 08, 2011 (11:30 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I remember back when this game was released as part of Square's "Summer of RPGs" promotion, along with Front Mission 3 and Legend of Mana. I bought all three of them but this one definitely wound up being my favorite of the lot (though I really did enjoy Legend of Mana, too). It's good to see Chrono Cross come back around. I would love to see a proper sequel happen on current-gen hardware, especially if Mitsuda handles the soundtrack again.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: November 09, 2011 (12:27 AM)

EmP's going to blow a gasket when he sees this.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 09, 2011 (01:12 AM)

Obligatory comment about how Chrono Cross wasn't very good.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 09, 2011 (02:00 AM)

Just to piss EmP off further, they should release Monsterseed as well. Too bad it's not a Square Enix title...

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: November 09, 2011 (06:41 AM)

"Front Mission 3" holds up better than "Chrono Cross" or "Legend of Mana".

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: November 09, 2011 (07:05 AM)

It was actually Threads of Fate that was released in their Summer of RPGs campaign, not Front Mission 3.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Posted: November 09, 2011 (07:45 AM)

Oh yeah, you're right! FM3 actually came out in the spring, according to Wikipedia.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 09, 2011 (07:53 AM)

In related news, in the next week or two, I'll have a review of Chrono Cross up! At least I should. Just started the second disc last night. It's been a while since I played, but as I remember, almost 80 percent of the game's content is on the first disc, with the second having like two big dungeons and one smaller one, as well as the final boss. Might take a while to do this, though. Right now, that game's like third or fourth on my list of priorities, kind of right there with "hours of grinding in Gran Pulse in FF XIII".

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: November 09, 2011 (09:10 AM)

I should really play Chrono Cross again. I still have the PS1 discs. I remember liking it more than Chrono Trigger, but I've finished Chrono Trigger twice this generation on the Virtual Console (well, more than that if you count all of the different endings I've found, but twice from beginning to end) and once prior to this generation, and I've only played Chrono Cross once ever.

board icon
Author: SkylerBunderson
Posted: November 09, 2011 (04:36 PM)

Heehee, I'm actually not a big fan of it either, but a lot of people seem to disagree with me on that front, and regardless of quality it was both popular and important, I think. Like Evangelion!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: November 09, 2011 (08:45 PM)

I don't know of anyone other than Jason who likes Chrono Cross.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 09, 2011 (09:30 PM)

Given your taste in RPGs, Suskie, which tend heavily toward WRPGs such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Deus Ex, I would be surprised if you routinely talk RPGs with people representative of the typical JRPG fan. Not everyone who likes Final Fantasy is a JRPG fan, after all; many people who like that series are actually WRPG fans. If you go to a forum where there are a lot of JRPG fans, though--people who don't much care for WRPGs and instead prefer the Japanese brand of RPG--you'll find that Chrono Cross is in general highly regarded. I'm aware that I do like a few games that most folks don't, but Chrono Cross isn't one of those cases.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 10, 2011 (01:04 AM)

I like Chrono Cross.

There, I said it.

board icon
Posted: November 10, 2011 (02:30 AM)

I wasn't trying to single you out, Jason, just noting that I couldn't think of anyone else who enjoyed the game.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: November 10, 2011 (08:16 AM)

I like Chrono Cross. And it deserves praise if just for this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKcr2OTgws&feature=related

Don't panic!

board icon
Posted: November 10, 2011 (09:37 AM)

You'll hear no complaints about the soundtrack from me. A shame the game doesn't capitalize on its best track, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMntblDX0Bg

board icon
Author: SkylerBunderson
Posted: November 11, 2011 (01:27 PM)

I have a hard time imagining there's anyone who doesn't like Chrono Cross's soundtrack.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: November 11, 2011 (01:37 PM)

The battle theme sounds like a cat being sent through a meat grinder.

Other than that, the soundtrack is pretty nice.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Posted: November 11, 2011 (04:43 PM)

100% agree with espiga.

board icon
Posted: November 11, 2011 (07:46 PM)

Yeah, and the trouble with that battle theme is that it's the song you're hearing most often. Other than that, yeah, the soundtrack is gorgeous.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: November 12, 2011 (08:26 AM)

The soundtrack and the graphics were fantastic but everything else about the game was pretty bad. If you were to ask me to sum up the game's story I honestly couldn't due to it being completely forgettable and poorly delivered. The battle system was different but bogged down by lengthy battle animations and an experience system that made most fights largely unimportant and too time consuming for their worth. Most of the party members were ridiculous and the localization team had too much fun making all the text read with goofy accents. Also, your character turned into a giant cat for like half the game. Hell yeah, Chrono Cross.

_

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: November 12, 2011 (08:41 AM)

I guess it was better than Legend of Dragoon at least.

_

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: November 12, 2011 (10:41 AM)

It's one of those games that I liked back when I played it but don't think I would like today (along with every JRPG I suppose). The soundtrack was excellent with the exception of two songs, which of course happen to be the most played songs in the game. I never liked the graphics actually since the game had those ugly, blurry textures that plagued probably 80% of PSX games.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 12, 2011 (11:04 AM)

I am not a fan of this game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 14, 2011 (10:54 AM)

Chrono Cross was... a disappointment, I think. It never should've been lauded as a Chrono Trigger sequel; that held it back from the very start. It's connections to Chrono Trigger were the most convoluted and confusing part of the plot, anyway, and really disrupted a rich world setting and characters who should have had the chance to stand on their own merits. Had it just been an original JRPG, it wouldn't have had half the sales but would've been much more memorable, as well.

Also, despite having some of the best video game music, it has the WORST combat music in any game I've played (with the exception of Shadow Hearts, which was, after all, comprised of half-crazed cats being swung about by their tails).

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.