Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Daytona USA review

This thread is in response to a review for Daytona USA on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 04, 2011 (02:50 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I love this paragraph:

"What made this game a phenomenon in the nineties – besides the fact that in ’93 these graphics were considered slick and ahead of their time – was the ability for us arcade-going gamers to sit with seven drunk friends in aligned cockpit cabinets, hammering the pedals, locking the wheel into turns, jamming the shifter down to screech into straight-aways, all while we hoped that hot girls looked on."

Because I've totally done that plenty of times. In Sydney, in the middle of all the pubs there's a huge arcade and they've got the 8 seat Daytona set up. Best drunk driving ever. I think this paragraph nailed the experience completely, and I'm sure most people have experienced this at one point or another. I don't even like Arcade gaming much, but I do like Daytona.

I was initially excited when I saw this was coming to Xbox Live, but I did suspect there wasn't much to the game beyond the arcade experience, which this port would lack. Thank you for writing this.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 04, 2011 (04:00 PM)

Thanks, Jerec. It's pretty cool that on the other side of the world, we're having the same experience with this game. The split-screen option would have made this game way way way better. Because one drunken friend is better than none!

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 04, 2011 (04:14 PM)

Nice review. I've never played the arcade version, or any version, for that matter, as I was never interested in racing games. But you definitely let it show here that the game was really much better then, if mostly for the reason that you could play with like-minded friends.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 06, 2011 (08:28 PM)

Finally got a chance to read this.

I like this review, even though I enjoyed my time with this port, and even agree with most of the points you made. It never even crossed my mind that this was lacking local splitscreen multiplayer until you brought it up in the review. Definitely a major goof on Sega's part. That's something that could've given the game more replay value once the online "community" dies down for this game.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2011 (08:35 PM)

Thanks Leslie and pick.

pick: I enjoyed the hell out of this port too, and played it taking turns with a friend... but then we both got pissed that we couldn't just play each other. I mean, we did that in Mario Kart how long ago?

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 06, 2011 (10:32 PM)

Yeah, to play together you'd have to tell him to go home and get online...

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: November 07, 2011 (06:49 AM)

Haha! Nice. I should have put that in the review.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.