Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, 23-29 October 2011 (bloomer)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: November 01, 2011 (01:22 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the Week, 23-29 October 2011

There were a lot of hyperbolic-praise-leaning reviews this week. This isn't a bad thing in itself, and apparently an Arkham City doesn't come along every day, for instance, but I noticed that my own response was to tend towards more moderate reviews, because they tend to be more interesting in their own right.

First Place

JoeTheDestroyer's Koudelka review (PSX)

The critical wheels tumble as Joe addresses his initial negative response to the game and works out - before your eyes! - his own longer term response of positivity towards something unusual.

Second Place

Lewis's Deadly Premonition review (XBOX 360)

Lewis describes the scatter-brainedness of Deadly Premonition, and his review sometimes reflects that scatter-brainedness in its own flightiness. This is potentially a good match of medium to message. I still had the sense that sometimes one paragraph would pull the rug from underneath what the previous one had said, or just act as if it was in a new review, so while my own preference would be that this review was somehow more 'together', it does succeed in describing a confused response to a confusing game.

Third Place

honestgamer's Blood Stone: 007 review (PS3)

A perfectly good and detailed review of a game assessed as possessing "general competency". A review of a game like this can sometimes end up being boring, or entering into an equivocating fight with itself, and HG's review avoided those traps. It speaks to the dedication involved in consistently doing a quality job of reviewing new titles that don't necessarily cause fireworks to go off in one's brain.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 01, 2011 (06:57 AM)

Way to get this thing up so promptly. And nice job, Joe.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 10, 2011 (05:15 PM)

Wow. What an underwhelming response from the community on this one. Either way, thanks, bloomer, as always for doing this, and being so prompt with it.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: November 10, 2011 (05:16 PM)

More damning evidence as against bothering to do this thing. If a RotW falls in the forest, will the people who place hear?

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 10, 2011 (09:46 PM)

Remember that where the site is right now is not where it will hopefully be in a few weeks or months, in terms of traffic and participation. Feedback on the topic was light and those who placed didn't comment, but that doesn't mean that the results weren't read or appreciated.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 11, 2011 (01:09 AM)

I hate to be this guy, but my Gears of War 3 review, which Masters awarded RotW, has not been made featured.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 11, 2011 (01:30 AM)

It's featured now.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 11, 2011 (01:45 AM)

:D

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 11, 2011 (02:08 AM)

Holy crap, I didn't even notice I won! Thanks blooms! Congrats to our other placers as well.

EDIT:
I would also hate to be the guy that Suskie described, but my Koudelka review isn't featured either.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: November 11, 2011 (06:58 AM)

Feedback on the topic was light...

Feedback on the topic was nonexistent. The only post for over a week was mine, complimenting bloomer on getting the results up so quickly, and congratulating Joe.

...those who placed didn't comment, but that doesn't mean that the results weren't read or appreciated.

In the real world, that's EXACTLY what it means. Actions speak: if there aren't comments, there's no appreciation.

board icon
Posted: November 11, 2011 (07:02 AM)

Koudelka is now featured.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 11, 2011 (08:58 AM)

I'VE BEEN BUSY!!!!

Er, maybe not...but I honestly just saw the topic, read who placed and never thought to comment, as I didn't make the top three. BUT I READ IT!!!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 11, 2011 (01:13 PM)

Thanks, Marc!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.