Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Lewis's Dragon Age 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Dragon Age II on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: October 31, 2011 (05:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Very well written, enjoyed the read.

DA2's combat is certainly an improvement, I agree. Origins had very long segments of subplot exploration that always included substantial dungeon crawling, and the combat, though well designed, became hugely monotonous and unrewarding. DA2 flows much better and still relies on the same strategies of Origins in terms of micromanaging your crowd control effects -- that is, if you play on a harder difficulty as you should. Otherwise the game really is just Dynasty Warriors and is pretty terrible when played on Normal or Easy difficulties.

But like Origins, dungeon crawling is still pretty unrewarding, now it's just much more tolerable and pretty looking. Loot is still rather pointless, it gets a bit tiring picking up 73 different items called "Ring" and "Dirk" in one trip. The dungeons are designed as if were playing some MMO that needs to recycle everything -- you go through the same cave every single time, there's no sense of adventure, of anything really.

I enjoyed Origins and DA2 rather equally and for different reasons, as you stated they both have different philosophies. I think DA2 is on the right path but for whatever reason Bioware has been quite lazy with this franchise in comparison to what they did with Mass Effect 2. Repetitious environments, an embarrassingly primitive loot and inventory system, still the same lifeless towns. As you said, Origins had great lore, but I felt the entire presentation was lacking. Now we have a much better built environment called Kirkwall but the lore is gone.

In a nutshell I'd say DA2 flowed better, but lacked the impact the subplot interaction of the original had. Characters were a bit more interesting, but the cast still contained too many flat personalities.

Neither game reaches the standards of the Baldur's Gate name, but they are making strides in bringing that experience to more casual gamers. So it's interesting people are upset with DA2 for streamlining things when DA:O is the one that started it.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 01, 2011 (08:56 PM)

So, like... does this mean Gameroni is officially dead? And if so, can I move some of my reviews over here as well?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 01, 2011 (09:32 PM)

Gameroni might return to active duty, Suskie, but it's not especially likely. Except when I'm doing work for other sites that pays my rent and such, I'm pouring all of my resources into HonestGamers. Both Gameroni and VideoCritics are on indefinite hiatus, with Gameroni especially unlikely to return.

If you want to move any of your reviews from there to here and assign numerical scores instead of letter grades, that's fine. If you'd like to move them over here as staff reviews, just HG Mail me the updated score and I'll move them over for you as content is needed (before year's end) so that they don't post on days where there's a lot of competition.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 02, 2011 (01:54 AM)

Okay, cool. I'll let you know.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 02, 2011 (10:18 PM)

Sorry to jack this response thread... Is there any chance of moving the interviews over here, Jason? I'd like to have that Blue Lacuna interview up here, if possible.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.