Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Pac-Man review

This thread is in response to a review for Pac-Man on the Atari 2600. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: October 28, 2011 (02:40 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The 2600 version of Pac-Man is the only one I've ever played. I didn't realise there was a difference. Well, that accounts for why so many people speak fondly of Pac-Man while I think it's kind of crap.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 28, 2011 (05:04 PM)

People stood in line for ages to buy the 2600 Pac-Man port.... and then they stood in line to return it. The game was a massive success, even though it also had more returns than any other game to date. It was a crushing disappointment to arcade fans.

Nice review -- I liked how you named Pac-Man's deformed brother "Poc-Man".

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: October 28, 2011 (06:23 PM)

[begin New York accent]

Eh. I've played woiss Pac-Man clones.

[end New York accent]

There has always been something I've always pondered about the reputation of this particular version of Pac-Man. Would this game -- without changing the core mechanics -- have been more tolerated without the Pac-Man branding?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 28, 2011 (11:43 PM)

Thanks, zig!

Good question, qxz. I think I still wouldn't like it, but perhaps wouldn't have been so hard on it. And by 'less hard' I pretty much mean a 3/10 vs. a 2/10.

Interesting bit-o-trivia: A lot of people blame the videogame crash in the early '80s on this rendition of Pac-Man, as well as ET.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 29, 2011 (09:04 AM)

For me, this was weird. The A2600 Pac-Man was the first version I ever played, so I didn't know better and had a reasonable amount of fun with it...until my parents bought me the more faithfully rendered Ms. Pac-Man and I never played the original again. Jr. Pac-Man was also good, but I preferred the one-screen maze where you could see everything in front of you over that game's taller ones that didn't fit on one screen.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: October 29, 2011 (02:01 PM)

Overdrive wrote:
For me, this was weird. The A2600 Pac-Man was the first version I ever played, so I didn't know better and had a reasonable amount of fun with it...

Same case with me. The Atari 2600 rendition of Pac-Man was literally my first experience with the brand, and I also enjoyed playing it. Of course, this was before the NES came to be, and the inevitable conversion of

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.