Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo review

This thread is in response to a review for Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo on the Turbografx-CD. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: October 27, 2011 (05:22 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Nicely written, but I do have one catch with the ending. Rondo of Blood was actually released in 2008 as a part of the Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles compilation on the PSP. I guess you could say it was a double release, since said disc includes a visually remade version of Rondo, as well as the original game.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 27, 2011 (06:42 AM)

True--and that package was freaking awesome.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (06:44 AM)

Aside from the fix in your final note... I've now read the review, and it's amazingly well written--this might be your best review (that I've read, and I think I've read most of them).

Kudos!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 27, 2011 (09:49 AM)

Everything I read anything about Rondo, I remember back to when I bought Dracula X for my Super Nintendo. And then I feel sad.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (10:56 AM)

Yeah cuz that game... isn't great.

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (12:19 PM)

Indeed. If I made a list of my TOP TEN MOST DISAPPOINTING PURCHASES, it would rank somewhere reasonably high.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 27, 2011 (02:22 PM)

Thank you, folks. In the final note, I said, 'in its original format', which basically doesn't include the remake. I could offer a small side note in there on the remake, though.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (02:32 PM)

The remake IS awesome though. AND it includes SotN? How crazy is that. It's the best package since The Orange Box.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 27, 2011 (07:20 PM)

Am I the only one that actually think the SNES revision was a solid game? :|

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (07:24 PM)

But have you played the Turbo one? Cuz it's the comparison that makes the SNES one seem especially lame.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 27, 2011 (07:25 PM)

I have, actually. Rondo of Blood is an awesome game, but I still think its SNES remix is a fine effort.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 27, 2011 (07:40 PM)

I haven't played Rondo, so I can't judge too harshly, but I definitely enjoyed what I played of Dracula X on the SNES. It does really seem to be a case where people don't like a good game because the better one they wanted was never localized. See also: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Fun game... but people wanted Final Fantasy V.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (08:49 PM)

I played the SNES one and wound up rage-quitting it. I may pick it back up in the future because I've gotten much better at games in general since playing it.

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (09:58 PM)

I actually played the SNES one first. So without Rondo for reference, I already thought it was pretty weak. It has that crappy invincibility window which allows you to get bounced around--very annoying. SCIV is like, a million times better.

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (10:46 PM)

I'll admit it: I just really like the graphics on Dracula X a lot and the graphics on SCIV don't do anything for me. I've never played SCIV, mind you... but I've seen so many screenshots and they have always repulsed me, even during the SNES launch window. Tragic, I'm sure.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (10:59 PM)

I like SCIV. Maybe not as much as other Castlevanias, but it's still a worthy contribution.

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (11:06 PM)

I believe that SCIV is probably a great game. I realize that I haven't gotten around to playing it for a really stupid reason (though obviously there's a lot more to it than that one reason; it just happened to be one of the things that kept the game low enough on my list of titles to try that I never actually did). But whatever. Dracula X had a pleasing visual style and that one I've actually tried. I was only a casual Castlevania fan, anyway, until Symphony of the Night. I played Castlevania on the NES a lot, and Castlevania III a fair bit, but then I forgot about the series until Alucard won me over and made me a permanent fan.

board icon
Posted: October 28, 2011 (10:04 AM)

The visual style repulsed you? Are you nuts?

Visual 'style' aside, SCIV crushes Dracula X in every way. It's universally regarded as one of the big three, 2D non-Metroidvania titles: Dracula X (the real one), Castlevania III, and SCIV.

board icon
Posted: October 28, 2011 (11:22 AM)

I never had even heard of Rondo before starting up at GFaqs, but had experienced Dracula X beforehand.

To me, X had fewer levels than either SCIV or C III and didn't have the whip versatility that IV possessed. It just came off to me as a graphically impressive game that was a step back from the previous installments I'd played in every other way.

And there was the final time I played it when in the stage where the boss is the werewolf (I remember loving the background graphics for that fight). In the part where you're climbing from bottom to top up a cavern, I got stuck because the bats (or bird) that flew around got into a pattern where I couldn't progress to save my life. Every time I moved, WHAM! Think there might have those spear knights (part #28 in a series of tough arcade-vania foes that became patsies in metroid-vanias) complicating things.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 28, 2011 (12:59 PM)

SC4 is freakin' ugly -- it's like the graphic "artists" took orange and brown and splattered it all over some failed Castlevania clone. SNES Drac X looked decent, as far as SNES games go.

Rondo and Bloodlines (in that order) are by far the best-looking pre-SOTN Castlevania games.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: October 28, 2011 (01:40 PM)

Hilarious that a Genesis fan has stuff to say about a game being poorly coloured.

Take your weird bias and unpopular opinions back to Unlimitedzigworks!

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 28, 2011 (04:54 PM)

Someone (MASTERS) needs to check his SNES-versus-Genesis facts!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.