Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: October 9-15, 2011

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 26, 2011 (10:32 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Here's my RotW--only one week late. My original excuse was going to be that General Manager Leslie Paul did not remind me to do this, and it's set out explicitly in my contract that she be required to do so.

But then... she did end up reminding me eventually, and I STILL didn't do it. So that excuse doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

Anyway, my apologies for the delay.

Here goes.

I am reluctant to place the reviews first, second and third, because there were so few entrants this week. I think it would be a bit patronizing to the third place winner, and a bit insulting/hurtful to the fourth and fifth ranked reviewers.

As such, I'm just going with winner, and runner up.

That being said, if anyone not mentioned actually cared for a critique or feedback or both, I'd be more than happy to provide it.

RUNNER UP
Silent Hill by JoetheDestroyer

This is a great review of an absolute institution in survival horror. It's a tough one to review currently, without gushing unrealistically at a game that certainly shows its age, and without bashing it for the unsightly presentation of a game as old as it is.

Joe writes a praise review, make no mistake--but he's a good enough writer to avoid fanboy/purist hyperbole and simply lets an oldie but goody essentially sell itself. Nicely done.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Gears of War by Suskie

Suskie is... well doing his best Suskie thing here (excellent analysis without Evil Suskie malice). He's tackling a very relevant, popular game, giving it its due, and also managing to turn a critical eye to a product which is extremely polished, the very epitome of what the essence of Gears of War intended to be -- questioning whether or not reaching that pinnacle is good enough.

ie: Gears 3 is so entertaining, but it's also so more of the same. Mike makes the smart decision to dock the game, if only slightly for its intensely derivative nature. Wonderful stuff.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 26, 2011 (12:13 PM)

Yay! Thank you, sir, and congrats to Mike.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: October 26, 2011 (02:18 PM)

No problem. These things are difficult to do from the office, and it isn't getting easier--but Leslie threatened me, and said that you messaged her, also threatening me, so I got to it.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: October 26, 2011 (03:02 PM)

Thank you! =D

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 26, 2011 (03:20 PM)

"Evil Suskie malice"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?! HUH?!

Thanks for the (surprising) victory and congrats to Joe for his placement as well.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: October 26, 2011 (03:30 PM)

Yeah, it's like Evil Ryu from Street Fighter Alpha. You're usually pretty cynical, but sometimes it becomes SUSKIE MALICE. I'm sure you've heard this before. But in this review, it didn't get there.

And don't pretend you're surprised that you won.

DON'T.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 26, 2011 (04:06 PM)

Oh, haha, I thought you were talking about how I occasionally get angry. But yeah, that too.

And I am surprised that this review won, if only because it's one of those "more-of-the-same sequel" reviews.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.