Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Gears of War 3 review

This thread is in response to a review for Gears of War 3 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 13, 2011 (08:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Very good look at this game and series as a whole, as a very good shooter series that just misses out on being memorable and therefore runs the risk of being made forgettable in time.

I used to love Medal of Honor back when it came out...so much that I bought three more games in that series. Two of which will likely never get finished because after playing some more modern FPS games, they're just so clunky for me that the gameplay is unappealing and there's not enough of a draw otherwise for me to have any desire suck it up and play through obsolete mechanics. I mean, down the road, I might change my mind, but I doubt I'll overly enjoy the experience.

I got the feel that 5-10 years down the road, Gears of War might wind up being the same sort of thing.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 14, 2011 (06:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks a lot. I don't want it to sound like I'm retroactively viewing the first two games in a more negative light, though. Even if you judged them side-by-side, Gears 3 is the weakest of the bunch (though obviously still quite solid).

But the fact that this is part three in a trilogy does force me to view it from that perspective. The fact that I wasn't terribly excited for this release, or particularly sad when it was over, is a problem. These are great and highly influential shooters, but Gears 3 also underlines all of the opportunities Epic missed.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.