Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Chrono Trigger review

This thread is in response to a review for Chrono Trigger on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: September 25, 2011 (11:04 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I've never played Chrono Trigger. I remember the hype surrounding the game in magazines when it came out and the fan following afterwards, but that's it. With that said, you do a good job making it sound like an entertaining rpg that's fast paced and has variety. I had no clue there was a new game +, so that actually makes it sound like a fun game to replay. Enjoyed reading the review!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 26, 2011 (12:22 AM)

Thanks, pickhut!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: September 26, 2011 (02:27 AM)

Ah, informed opinions on Chrono Trigger. Since it was never released here, CT has always mocked me with its sterling reputation. Sigh...

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: September 26, 2011 (03:57 AM)

It wasn't released on the SNES in Australia... and the PS1 version didn't make it here. But we got the DS version, and oddly, it's on the Wii Virtual Console. Awesome game. One of the only times I played a rom all the way through.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 26, 2011 (08:57 AM)

I imported the PSX version, which mocked me with its awful load times. Is this review good enough to make me brave them? It's a fantastic review, but, no.

16 bit games shouldn't have ludecrious load times!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 26, 2011 (10:06 AM)

EmP

That's like how my first exposure to Final Fantasy V was through the PSX port (that came with VI, as well). Nothing says "enjoying a classic RPG" like running through it as fast as possible because any minute now the damn thing is going to crash. But waiting for the game to load back up after hitting reset after a crash gave me plenty of time to think about how humorous it was to port two Super Famicom games to another station EXACTLY like they were on their original system, with the exception of inserting a handful of cinema videos. And I guess at least VI had a viewable bestiary, as well. And a lot more crashes and glitches.

Anyway, good review. Interesting. You reviewed Super Mario Brothers right before I reviewed SMW 2: Yoshi's Island. Now you reviewed Chrono Trigger while I'm replaying Chrono Cross to review that. If your next review is a Tales of... game, I'll be really freaked out.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 27, 2011 (08:31 AM)

Thanks, everyone.

Gary:
I don't blame you for not touching the PSX version. I played maybe ten minutes of it and had FF6 PSX flashbacks and quit for good. At least it came with a functional copy of FF4.

Rob:
Never had problems with FF5 crashing on PSX, and I played through it recently on a PS2.

Does that break any laws of nature? I played an SNES game ported to PSX on a PS2. Should I be worried about interdimensional rifts in my house or anything?

My main problem with FF6 via PSX was the constant loading. Like executing a blitz with Sabin, he'd have to stop sometimes two or three times in the middle of the blitz to load the graphical effects and such. That and it seemed like it took a year for battles to load.

Anyway, good review. Interesting. You reviewed Super Mario Brothers right before I reviewed SMW 2: Yoshi's Island. Now you reviewed Chrono Trigger while I'm replaying Chrono Cross to review that. If your next review is a Tales of... game, I'll be really freaked out.

I thought that, too. I kept saying to myself, "Everyone's going to think we're all Nintendo fanboys on this site." As for your eeriness... Well, I am replaying Tales of Phantasia on GBA to review it, soo....

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 27, 2011 (08:47 AM)

Yeah. I think it might have just been my copy. FF VI crashed occasionally, too. And the loading could get to be tedious. I thought my PSX was going to explode during the one part where a couple characters are falling down a waterfall fighting fish monsters.

So, we've both done recent Super Mario reviews. You've done a Chrono game review and I'll be doing one in a week or two probably. And I'll have a Tales of Vesperia one this week while you're playing Phantasia. Yeah. That's creepy. I'll have to find unpredictable, wacky games to play for a bit!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.