Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Super Mario Bros. review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Mario Bros. on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 21, 2011 (03:26 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a fitting ode to a great game. However:

Levels were not always the same fair.

You mean 'fare' there, don't you?

There was some other roughness, like twice repeating the bit about mastering two buttons and such, but this is great stuff that--without saying it in so many words--practically begs the reader to go back through and experience the game for himself. I recently played a few levels again (as I sometimes do throughout the years) and found that it still holds up. I'm glad that the 3DS ambassador program is giving people a portable way to experience this exciting classic. I just wish every gamer could experience the game for the first time the way we did, back before a game wasn't considered a game if it didn't have massive textures or tons of polygons or whatever. Super Mario Bros. was a game changer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 21, 2011 (03:30 PM)

Thanks, Jason! I'll go back through it again later to correct any other roughness. I did drop the first instance of two buttons and changed "fair". This was a game my former roommate always played, and watching him play reminded me how awesome it is. It'll probably be one of the first I DL once I nab a 3DS.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: September 22, 2011 (10:16 AM)

That first jump into the next standard of games is certainly memorable, and it's a good hook for this review.

For me, though, that game was Sonic 1 on the Master System.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: bwv_639
Posted: March 24, 2017 (04:49 PM)

Some 2 years ago I did a complete playthrough of the Super Mario Bros the West knows as well as the All Night Nippon version and Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (an enhanced SMB in reality), found the three of them amazing, but the original SMB was the less amazing of the lot. I recommend giving the 2 other versions a try to all SMB fans.

When you compare Mario's movement physics in these old games and those from New Super Mario Bros on to Super Mario Maker (where ALL games have Mario responding to inputs the same way, deleting the original differences), well, you have quite a clear picture of how video games have been downgraded in order to upgrade sales.

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.