Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Breath of Fire II review

This thread is in response to a review for Breath of Fire II on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: September 16, 2011 (02:41 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Did you play the re-translated version?

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 16, 2011 (07:40 PM)

The patch? Yeah. When I saw there was one, I decided I was going to play the game again AND I was going to get a good translation of the text this time!

And while driving home tonight, the weirdest thought hit me.

1. The dragon has sealed Evan's cave, keeping what's in in and what's out out. For you to enter, she basically has to release the seal and end her life.

2. You first encounter Barubari/y as a child in the cave next the village with Evan's cave.

3. And then as a boss in the depths of the cave at the end of the game.

So if it's sealed and the all-powerful Evan can't get out, how can his right-hand scaly critter-demon buddy bounce back and forth without a fucking care in the world?

EDIT: Oh yeah, the only part of the retranslation I don't think I liked that jumps out at me was Evan's speech before the fight. Replacing "and now, he is dead" when he's talking about your comrades with "erased from existence" doesn't work for me. I preferred the brutal simplicity of the original.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: yamishuryou
Posted: September 17, 2011 (07:37 AM)

The translation should've kept Katt's name instead of Rinpoo :(

Also, I think the Normal ending is the best ending. The tragic sacrifice and all that is a lot more powerful than the nominal 'Good Ending'.

At 9:55:00 PM MST on April 5th, 2005, Venter finally defeated Phantom!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.