Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation review

This thread is in response to a review for Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 01, 2011 (05:56 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

#

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: September 01, 2011 (05:59 PM)

I bought the game but haven't started it yet so I decided I didn't need to read a review. >_>

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: September 04, 2011 (05:22 PM)

Okay, finally had the time to read your review, and I found it entertaining! The vast descriptions of various places and hardships were pretty engrossing. Sounded like you really enjoyed the game.

Oh, I found a small mistake, the "/" in this line:

Explore a snowy village at the base of a mountain and discover that/ all its inhabitants

Nicely-written review!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: September 04, 2011 (06:36 PM)

Thanks, pickhut! I'm really glad you liked it. I really did enjoy the game, and wanted to write about it the best I can (hopefully without imitating Jason's review too much, which I don't believe I did). Honestly, I felt that this was perhaps my best review in a good long while (never mind the fact that I've only written about 5 all year in the first place), so I really wanted to know what people thought about it. Haha. Ordinarily I wouldn't be so blunt with wanting feedback as I was here, but this time, I was just really excited about mine, and was kind of disappointed when I received almost nothing for it.

Thanks again. Also, I just fixed that catch. Good find.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: September 05, 2011 (03:14 PM)

Yeah, Honestgamer's review was a hard act to follow and I think you've done a great job on the game giving a sense of it's vastness as well as the emotional pull of the story.

The introduction is an excellent description of the start of the game, setting the tone of the threat and then the confusion that arises when you find yourself transported. I also liked the summaries of the scenarios you encounter, but then I've played the game so it was nice to be reminded of these. You don't mention the characters/slimes stuff which might be significant given the expectations from those who've played the other DQ DS games.

But then...anyone can read up on that if they are interested enough... I still have problems thinking that everything needs to be mentioned!

Don't panic!

board icon
Posted: September 05, 2011 (04:17 PM)

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I tried to draw the focus on what I felt was most important in this game, so I'm glad it worked for you.

Interestingly, your guide on Gamefaqs helped me out a lot in places where I got really stuck. Don't think it happened to often, but when it did, I was glad it was there.

Also, I did originally mention the slime stuff (albeit briefly) in a rough draft, but then took it out because it felt like it was just sort of shoehorned in without going into as much detail as I or others may have wanted, and so its inclusion could have ruined the flow of the review.

Thanks again!

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: September 12, 2011 (06:57 AM)

Nice review, Leslie. I told you I'd get around to reading and commenting at some point. The intro is very strong, although I'd be remiss not to point out a tiny issue: you mention scattering EACH of the heroes. Unless they were dismembered, that doesn't quite work.

I love this line: To be fair, not all of Dragon Quest VI's stories are tragic. Some are only mildly depressing. Funny stuff.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: September 13, 2011 (06:26 AM)

Thanks, Marc. I'll try to think of a way to word that one sentence better, but probably won't have time to get to it right away.

Anyway, I'm really glad you liked the review overall. As I'm sure I mentioned elsewhere (in this topic, even), I really felt like this was one of my best.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.