Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Rock of Ages (XLA) review

This thread is in response to a review for Rock of Ages on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: August 29, 2011 (08:31 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

:) nice review.

.."classical music" -- is it still Mozart's Requiem, like in the trailer? I mean.. crushing things down the hill to "Dies Irae" seems like pure win to me.

..one thing, though. At one side, you're complaining about the traps not working. And on the other you're saying all that matters is your skill at completing the obstacle course. Is the problem that the AI is too good, or something like that? ...Or was that something that changed as well once you got better at the game, like you say..?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 29, 2011 (08:52 AM)

The traps don't ever really make a huge difference, no matter where you place them. I filled choke points with traps (most of the course is open enough that there are too many routes to effectively cover) and still it had very little impact on the enemy... and his traps had little impact on me. It's a neat gimmick but, as my review notes, success mostly comes to whoever is best at getting through the course. That's sort of a duh and the traps were always meant to serve as a stalling tactic only, but they're not as effective here as the traps in say... Marble Madness.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: August 31, 2011 (02:53 AM)

I've been following this game for ages... Still no release for EU, but at least it's going to come to the PS3.

I adored the music, the design and historical locations, and the paper cutout characters of the demos. Kind of felt that you underplayed the sheer exuberance and originality of all that. The review has a higher score than the criticisms indicated you'd give it. But I'm relieved to know that the controls/loading times etc don't detract too much from the experience.

One issue for me: the personal stuff about your wife's comments in the intro and later in the review, and then ending with the comment about screaming like little girls struck me as a bit off. As if you were hinting at something about female reactions although I doubt that was your intention. Maybe I was expecting some kind of finishing comment from your wife which is why the final sentence seemed odd.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 31, 2011 (03:16 AM)

Yeah, I really don't look at a game and think "How are girls likely to receive this?" I think "How are gamers likely to receive this?" and there's not really a division in my mind. That's probably how it'll continue to be unless a game calls particular attention to something that prompts me to view it differently. I don't figure trying to channel my inner girl is going to make a review that's more helpful to any audience...

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: August 31, 2011 (12:03 PM)

Marble Madness...apt comparison, that instantly gives me an idea of how this game - if you'll pardon the pun - rolls. I had flagged it more as a sort of Katamari Damacy at first.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 01, 2011 (06:17 PM)

I've never played Marble Madness, so the comparison's a bit lost on me. In any case, that doesn't hurt the review any; I'm just saying.

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good review. I didn't have as much of an issue with score disparity as OD did. I estimated the tone of the review around more of a 7, but I think that has more to do with all the criticism coming near the end, where it's kind of just left hanging over us, and a relatively positive concluding paragraph isn't really enough to overshadow all of it. Still, I think you did a good job making much of that criticism sound like it doesn't matter that much (particularly the controls), and the positives you describe (like the humor, childish as it may be), sound like they make much of the game's appeal more than anything else.

If I had an Xbox, I'd probably check this out. It sound rather amusing, and I'm curious as to how exactly it makes fun of history, since, well, considering my background, I get a huge kick out of that sort of thing.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.