Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's ActRaiser review

This thread is in response to a review for ActRaiser on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 28, 2011 (03:44 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hey, this is a really good review you wrote here, Joe! You actually made both aspects of the game sound really interesting and work well together. I've known about ActRaiser for a very long time, but I'm actually curious about giving it a go after reading the review.

By the way, is this an error or am I missing something:

I'm put down the sword and grabbed the bow and arrow.

You also typed the word 'guide' twice in a row in the same paragraph.

Still, solid review!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 28, 2011 (03:48 PM)

ActRaiser is fantastic, pickhut. Definitely give it a shot. It's a shame that the botched follow-up prevented the game from becoming a proper franchise that could have, with continued technological advancements, gone on to become one of the more memorable franchises in existence. I'd totally be up for a well-executed new installment on current hardware. It could be mind-blowing. The closest we've had is maybe Valkyrie Profile.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 28, 2011 (04:27 PM)

Thanks, pickhut! I'll fix those.

Jason:
I agree. With all of the concepts companies have used over the last few decades, a current ActRaiser would be amazing. I only played the second one a single time and wasn't impressed. I may revisit and review it in the future. I mainly wanted to hit ActRaiser before going on to a Soul Blazer review that I've been brewing for about a year now.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 29, 2011 (07:30 AM)

I remember ActRaiser 2 being awesome. Of course, it totally dispensed with the god mode, and made the side-scrolling parts nearly impossible, but it had boss music and some slick visuals and was generally fun to play (if the difficulty didn't put you off).

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 29, 2011 (08:39 AM)

I remember writing a review that said ActRaiser 2 was a big f-ing letdown. And that review did good in contest-like dealies, too!

Therefore, it is the ONLY voice of authority on that game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 29, 2011 (08:55 AM)

ActRaiser 2 had incredible visuals (for the time) and a lot of other fantastic elements, but the difficulty was a huge jump and I never got very far into it... whereas I completed the first ActRaiser quite easily. I need to go back to the sequel--which I do own--and give it another shot one of these days when I'm feeling masochistic. The difficulty really is a bummer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: September 01, 2011 (02:57 PM)

I remember feeling a great sense of accomplishment when I beat ActRaiser 2. But yeah, even on Easy, the game is hard as hell.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: September 05, 2011 (03:37 PM)

I loved this review. It had everything: funny, clearly written, and illuminated the game beautifully. Made me laugh eg: and studies show that two platformer levels will clear any area of diabolical baddies, and you maintained the god commentary style right to the end. I also felt that I knew exactly what the game was about and how it plays.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 05, 2011 (10:22 PM)

Thanks, threetimes!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.