Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: August 14-20

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 23, 2011 (04:31 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'll get this out of the way right away.

A streak has been broken this week. Sorry, Gary, ol' chum, but don't feel too bad: you already have the record.

On to the results.

THIRD PLACE

Emp's Fire Mustang

A glaring inaccuracy begins the review. Whether or not Taito published R-Type in the UK (I don't know that they did), they can hardly be given credit for the phenomenon that is R-Type. From here, Emp settles down and gives an entertaining level-by-level shmup rundown, which is effective at capturing my interest. The conclusion is particularly nice--the last line especially. A stylish closing to a solid review.

SECOND PLACE

Suskie's Metro 2033

I've played this game, and didn't like it as much as Mike, but that's besides the point. Suskie makes his return from wherever it is he's been hiding, in style. His point about melancholy atmosphere is well taken, and is contrasted well with the hope on display in Metro 2033. The paragraph on what is essentially Suskie's admiration for the subtlety employed by the developers is not as smooth as the rest of the work, and I wonder about what seems to be sheer praise culminating in an 8/10 score. Aside from these minor things, the review is tops.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK

SpencerTSisson's Left 4 Dead

I don't know that I've read one of Spencer's reviews, but this was a nice surprise. The review was written in an authoritative tone, with heaps of cogent analysis wrapped up in an easy to read, practiced prose. The first sentence grated for me, and the review as a whole seemed a smidgen too long, but it's essentially an ideal review. I only seem critical because I loved everything else about the work. Kudos.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 23, 2011 (04:53 PM)

Nice post, Marc! You gave good reasons for each choice and that's always welcome. I think you're going to do terrific at this, every 4th or 5th week or whatever it is. Congrats to the winners, too! This started out as a weak week, but it wound up strong with some great competition. I hope to see similar from future weeks.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 23, 2011 (05:24 PM)

Thanks for the kind words, and congrats to the other two. It's good to know that I still would have succeeded in bringing EmP's rampage to an end even if this Spencer fellow hadn't stepped in and crushed the both of us.

There are reasons for me settling on an 8/10. It's mainly due to the overall lack of polish and the fact that the shooty bits that comprise a big chunk of the game's middle act are kinda weak, both of which I just kind of passingly mentioned, so I can see why you're confused. I'll see if there's a way to elaborate on those points without seriously revising the review. Thanks for pointing that out.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2011 (09:19 AM)

Man, I have no idea where that Taito gaff came from. I'd have disqualified myself for that alone.

Good job to Suskie and Spencer, and well done Marc for getting something out (nearly) on time.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.