Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Parodius review

This thread is in response to a review for Parodius on the Saturn. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: August 23, 2011 (01:32 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

"and aspire you" should be "inspire"

I suppose the intro was necessary to set the scene but it didn't really grab attention, for what is a totally grabby attention game. And that applied to the conclusion too. I haven't played Parodius but a friend did and I saw the whole crazy thing! Loved the descriptions in the third paragraph.

PS. some sceenshots would be awesome!

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 23, 2011 (11:57 AM)

Wouldn't aspire still work in that situation? Like "I aspire not to be a continue whore!"

I understand the want for screenshots, but it's more of a preference for me not to show them in my reviews. I only do it in rare instances. There are screenshots of both games for the arcade versions, so maybe I might put those in.

Thanks for reading, too.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: August 24, 2011 (04:15 PM)

'Aspire' would still work, but not the way you phrased it. To get technical for a moment, you've got the subject and object of the verb the wrong way round. The way it's phrased at the moment, it's the game that's aspiring to something. It might seem minor, but it's like the difference between 'man bites dog' and 'dog bites man'.

To use 'aspire' here, it would need to be something like 'and make you aspire to complete the game', which is a bit clumsy. Better to use something like 'inspire' or 'compel'.

TL;DR version: threetimes is right. :P

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Posted: August 24, 2011 (05:20 PM)

I'll use motivate.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2011 (06:53 AM)

Nice review, by the way.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: August 25, 2011 (07:55 AM)

Yes, that's true, I should have mentioned that :p I just get carried away with writing/grammar issues because I'm a pedant. It's a good review, nice work. I particularly enjoyed you putting Parodius in context as essentially a Gradius substitute for the 90s.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Posted: August 25, 2011 (11:52 AM)

Haha, thanks, guys. I'm not one to whine or complain about this stuff, but I was getting worried when the only positive thing I've gotten about the review so far was "I love the third paragraph!" XD

That's not to say I don't appreciate the corrections.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2011 (12:44 PM)

The Parodius games are fun as hell. Good shooters that are entertaining to watch, as well as enjoyable to play.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.