Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Tastes Like Retro '11 -- A Review Tourney

This thread has been locked by a moderator. No additional messages may be posted.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 21, 2011 (07:20 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Some of us are old. Rob, for instance, was denied access to Noah’s Arc as he was waaay over the drink limit, so spent a long arse time dogging paddling, while Marc was one of those uppity Canadians that set the Whitehouse on fire back when. We don’t have to look that far back, but we are looking to take a glance back over video gaming’s shoulder. It’s been a few years, but it’s time to knock the dust off of the Retro tourney.

I give you Tastes Like Retro ‘11. I’m only bringing it back so I could bag on my e-chums in the opening paragraph.

The rules are simple. You have until September the 30th to pen a review for a game 16bit or under. In an amusing twist to the usual formula, you are not limited to just one review, but are free to enter as many as you like between the time period of NOW and THEN. Previous renditions have had a panel of four judges; we thus far have two. Anyone interested in joining the dream team of EmP & Masters should make their intentions known. We’ll chew it over once Marc finishes his nap. At his age, scheduled naps are important.

Questions, sign-ups and general banter and retorts are to follow.

JUDGE DREAM TEAM
EmP & Masters

LosersOTHER PEOPLE!
Leroux
OD
fleinn
Jerec
Jason Venter
Joe the Destroyer
threetimes

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: August 21, 2011 (08:15 AM)

Question: Does 16-bit refer to particular eras (meaning all games fourth generation and earlier, based on the mostly standardized definitions for video game eras found online) or actual computer architectures... because then we need a ruling.

The Motorola 68000 is a "16/32-bit" chip, and a common one (used in the Sega Genesis, Capcom's CP-System (Final Fight arcade), etc.) where we would need to define whether to refer to it as 16-bit (its external bus size) or 32-bit (the size of its registers, and its capability to perform 32-bit arithmetic). So although it goes against what the video game industry and idiots online have preached for many years, I would argue it wouldn't be wrong, and would actually make more sense, to call the Genesis a 32-bit system based on the precision of its arithmetic capabilities.

board icon
Posted: August 21, 2011 (09:36 AM)

I hate you, Leroux. You and your techincal shenanigans.

Genesis-SNES era and below. Crazy obscure consoles and arcade cabinets from that cycle are fair game; PC stuff is out. It's more about time frames then technical guidelines.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 21, 2011 (09:50 AM)

I shall enter.

The gauntlet has been thrown. With force at your collective faces.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: August 21, 2011 (12:29 PM)

"PC stuff is out."

:p ..I think Prince of Persia came out the same year as the Sega Megadrive. Before that we had LHX, Winter Games, Ski or Die... *drifts off*

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 21, 2011 (12:42 PM)

There's tons of PC stuff that came out before or around that era. But focus needs to be reigned in somewhere!

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: August 21, 2011 (01:29 PM)

*pouts* :) no, seems like a good frame. .."Arcade Retro"?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: August 21, 2011 (01:46 PM)

PlayStation was pretty cool when I was 12. Isn't that retro yet?

_

board icon
Posted: August 21, 2011 (01:57 PM)

No! PSX is still cutting edge!

Arcade is fine.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 21, 2011 (07:50 PM)

I said a bunch of stuff here but I'll just say I'm entering.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 21, 2011 (08:23 PM)

I might try to turn in something for this, depending on how much time I have in the coming weeks around work. I've been wanting to review a few retro games for awhile and this could be the kick in the pants that I've been needing.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 22, 2011 (04:38 AM)

I'm in.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

This message was deleted at the request of radicaldreamer, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: August 23, 2011 (01:18 AM)

I'm all for crazy obscure consoles and no PC games. well, not that obscure but I'll try and do something for this. I never got around to reviewing Metal Max so maybe this is the time.

Don't panic!

board icon
Posted: August 25, 2011 (07:52 PM)

My review is already so retro it just banged some grandmas. Watch out folks.

board icon
Posted: August 25, 2011 (09:38 PM)

Did you review Skee-ball? Old Man once wrote a good review about that.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2011 (09:54 AM)

Yeah, I miss Royal Ranger.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 29, 2011 (01:28 PM)

Oh, throw me in here too, I guess. Only time will tell how much I actually get done, but eh.

Also, Joe's already got at least one or two for this thing. Jeez. If he goes at that rate, you'll have a lot of work on your hands. =P (That is, assuming he submits them for this).

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 29, 2011 (09:35 PM)

Haha! Damn right I am!

ActRaiser has entered the arena!

Operation Secret Storm reluctantly moves forward.

Chrono Trigger wants a piece.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 29, 2011 (09:37 PM)

My possibilities for this are endless. Except for the deadline, which obviously puts an end to them.

But, I can guarantee two entries with possibilities of three or four. By entries, I mean written retro reviews...if any don't meet my demanding standards of unsurpassed excellence, they won't be entered into the contest, as anything less than the first two...three...four places will be unacceptable.

On the docket will be:

Breath of Fire II
Yoshi's Island
???
???

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: September 15, 2011 (06:39 PM)

Still going with my replay of the retro game I'm going to review. I've played it before so I probably don't need to finish it again (and might not if I run out of time). Got some notes, a few lines I like the sound of. Hopefully it'll all come together.

board icon
Posted: September 22, 2011 (09:03 PM)

Well, it's good no one could be bothered to add me. I may not make this after all. If a miracle happens, though, I'll post one tomorrow since I won't be able to otherwise before the deadline.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: September 28, 2011 (05:30 AM)

Not sure if I'll have time to finish my review at this point, but it should be a good one whenever it is posted.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: September 28, 2011 (06:18 AM)

Wow, I completely forgot that this was happening.

Hard to tell who actually managed to submit something so far.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: September 28, 2011 (04:15 PM)

OD got both of his up; he just didn't link. As for anyone else.... the only other one to post any reviews is Joe. I may still try for it, but don't get your hopes up.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.