Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: August 07-13

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 15, 2011 (02:10 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Though there were only 5 reviews this week, they were all of great quality, and thus led to some tough calls on my part. In fact, the fight for first and second was so close, I had to read both reviews twice just to make a fair decision. Thanks to all who contributed this week. I was a little worred at first when, after half the week had been over, no one had yet to write anything. :)

THIRD PLACE: OD's Final Fantasy review:

This review is a solid summary of the pros and cons of the first installment in an age-old franchise as well as brief history of how it got there. You're descriptive and give good examples that support your experience and opinion of the game. However, I'm left feeling sort of neutral about it one way or another; neither particularly positive or negative about the game. I'm not sure if this just has to do with the age of the game and how that's influenced your opinion of it, or if its just the sort of formulistic way you went about writing about it. Still, it's a good review that does a nice job telling us what we need to know.

SECOND PLACE: Joe's From Dust review:

I really like this review. It flows nicely and, though not as analytical as EmP's, provides vivid details about the game's look, play and premise. From Dust sounds like a brilliant strategy-puzzler that features near apocalyptic themes. You do a good job emphasizing its uniqueness – the means by which you control the environment, the various powers granted to villages built near certain totems. You also do a good job outlining the game's flaws without making them seem overwhelming, so your ultimate score sounds justified. The way you write your narrative experiences – or even just describe certain scenarios in general – reads with an air of excitement and challenge that I can easily pick up. I guess what I'm trying to say is you sound enthusiastic, and it really shows in the writing. Because of that, I really enjoyed reading this piece and felt I learned all I needed to about the game without having much – if any – of it spoiled.

FIRST PLACE: EmP's L.A. Noire review:

This review seems to fit the pattern of many of your reviews lately. That is, it's extremely thorough and analytical, and in such a way as to hold our attention. Vividly described scenarios and well-explained game mechanics add to this, as do the comparisons between this game and others of its genre. The review is quite lengthy, but not quite to the point of becoming cumbersome. What is potentially problematic is something that often creeps up in your reviews: you often get so bogged down in the writing that some sentences seem convoluted and confusing. This is particularly true where you use metaphors. The Immanuel Kant + Humphrey Bogart one comes to mind. I understood it, but wonder if it really makes as much sense there as you'd like. As such, I had to read some parts a few times before I was sure I understood exactly what you meant. However, as you started going into further depth about certain cases and the ridiculous manner in which the game tries to stay focused on the 'plot', I found myself unable to look away. Overall, this is an excellent review and does a great job supporting your position on the game. But, I must admit, deciding between you and Joe was an incredible challenge.

P.S. Notable typos: “Emmanuel” → Immanuel (Spell your philosophers right, dammit!) “allies” → alleys; “chose” → choose; “later” → latter; “medias” → media (in the score summary).

fleinn snuck in at the last minute with his Lander review, and provided a fiar challenge to third. Thanks again to the you all, and congrats.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 15, 2011 (02:19 PM)

This fucking guy.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 16, 2011 (12:51 AM)

I think Gary may have broken a record. Congrats! Thanks, Leslie, for the placement.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 16, 2011 (06:44 AM)

By the way Joe, Leslie and I were debating the merits of both your review of and Emp's and found little difference in quality or appeal between the two. Your style is remarkably readable; I had no interest in the game you covered, but kept on reading (that's a big deal considering my attention span). Anyway, nice work.

Emp already knows what I think of his review.

Edit: I need to get around to reading OD's review, but I'm RPG-averse, so we'll see!

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 16, 2011 (11:33 AM)

Thanks, Marc! I appreciate it.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 16, 2011 (11:39 AM)

I won't let the never-before seen 4/4 go to my head. Maybe 5/5 will be the tipping point where my ego doth overflow into unbearablness.

Thanks you for the well thought out comments WQ (and secret advisor, Marc) and congrats to Joe. I said to Jason a little while back that From Dust was a game we HAD to cover, and you did an excellent job.

Now to pile the pressure onto myself for next week!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 16, 2011 (11:55 AM)

I thought Suskie or Bloomer or someone at some point had 4 wins in a row in RotW, but I'm pretty sure 5 truly has never been done. Good luck, EmP... You'll need it!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 16, 2011 (11:56 AM)

Nope; neither. Three was the previous top mark. I set new standards.

Now to try and be humble about it.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 16, 2011 (12:18 PM)

I have no basis to argue further other than my memory. I remember it being four and I remember the person deleting some of his reviews after the fact, but I can't remember for sure who did it. Perhaps it was Janus, or perhaps the years have been unkind to my feeble mind. Either way, it's a certainty that as of right now, you're the only one on the site with a four-win streak that can definitely be verified. The petty part of me hopes that your streak ends there so it can be more easily beaten down the road.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 17, 2011 (05:00 AM)

EmP's head is now so big you can see it from space.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: August 17, 2011 (08:24 PM)

Re: 4 in a row. It was probably Janus. Definitely wasn't me! I've never been prolific enough in my output on this site to get close.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 18, 2011 (06:22 PM)

Yeah, most in a row I've ever gotten was three.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.