Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Final Fantasy review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 12, 2011 (01:29 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review, Rob! I was hoping not to be the only one contributing this week.

There is one place where you have "you characters" instead of "your characters".

Again, great work. You really captured the excitement of playing this back in the day.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: August 13, 2011 (06:27 AM)

I've never played this game, and I doubt I ever will as I guess the game fares better with the benefit of nostalgia. The review seemed a bit short on some details though, such as the music, and story, and I thought parts of the second paragraph seemed a bit redundant and could be trimmed a bit. Great introduction, giving the context of the game, and I appreciated the clear descriptions of the gameplay so I know exactly what to expect IF I ever change my mind!

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 15, 2011 (09:51 AM)

Sam

Part of the lack of music description is because this is a pure nostaglia review that I was doing off memory. Which means any music description would be "the stuff I kinda remember was pretty cool, I think". So I decided to go away from that.

As for the story, there's really not much of one. You go around the world and do stuff. Eventually you find a group of sages in their own little village. They tell you about the four elemental fiends. But there's really no plot other than an excuse to tie the dungeons together. And, once again, that wound up being something that really didn't stick out in my mind enough to really bring up. It's one of those old-school RPGs that is more about exploration and dungeon crawling than plot. Really, of the American-released 8-bit RPGs, I don't know if any other than Dragon Warrior IV had a plot that was more than a flimsy excuse for you to explore the world and kill every monster you see.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.